Tyrus
Level 3: Gumshoe

Device payout amount differs greatly depending on which Telstra service I check . ??

My mobile contract recently ended and I decided to keep the phone.  I am on a disability pension so a new phone was out of the question. As it was on a lease I knew to expect a device payout fee.  So I checked this first on the my.telstra app which said it would be $161.84  (copy of screeshot below) which was fine and I agreed to pay this.  I was then informed that the actual device payout fee was $491.04 !  Thats over 2.5x what i was told!  What gives? Can someone please help?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Device payout amount differs greatly depending on which Telstra service I check . ??

You are confusing the PLAN cost and the DEVICE cost...  which are seperate charges..   

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Tyrus

Re: Device payout amount differs greatly depending on which Telstra service I check . ??

It was out of plan so there was no plan cost.  If you clicked "view cost breakdown" shown in the photo, it clearly said "Device Payout Fee  $161.

SteveW_52

Lease arrangements almost always have a residual cost..  one of the reasons I will always avoid a 'lease' arrangement.  I obviously can't click on those links.. everything I see there refers to Plan...  if it was out of contract, the whole thing seems very confusing..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Tyrus

I agree its confusing.  I only started this whole process because I received a notification from Telstra that I was now out of plan. 

SteveW_52

Well, there no plans any more, just month to month...  not sure how you manage the phone payout, Telstra might let you pay it off in monthly instalments..  but at the same time they are likely to force you to use DD..  your best option might be to go to a store (a big, preferably CBD one) because the current support mob may not be able to understand your current situation...

Stevo 52
Tyrus

I did go to a store... sadly they said it was a 2.5 hr waiting time.to be served... I left.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit