chuck89
Level 1: Cadet

direct debit: who gets paid by the calendar month? Give us some flexibility

This is a lie: "With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought." with the ability to pay a regular amount in advance I used to not have to think about my telstra bill at all. Now that it's debited at inconvenient times (monthly) I have to think it about it all the time so as not to spend the money I set aside for it. Telstra, if you are going to mandate direct debits, you need to offer flexibility about when those direct debits occur - i.e. when money is going to go into the account. Please sort this out ASAP. I have been frustrated by telstra over the years, but this is next level. Presumably it's about replacing employees with AI, reducing book-keeping etc, but who gets paid by the Calendar month?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: direct debit: who gets paid by the calendar month? Give us some flexibility

I can answer your question. Everybody that I work with gets paid by the calendar month (and that's a few thousand people). A large portion of people who are on salaries (as aside from wages) get paid monthly.

Direct debits are nearly always at inconvenient times. My Gas and Electricity come out just before payday. Water is quarterly. Telstra is one of the few that works out nicely for me, a couple of days after payday.

What I used to do when I had various jobs where I got paid weekly, fortnightly or sporadically (when I was consulting), was I had a separate account that I used for monthly bills. Then when I got paid, I put an amount into that account that was basically the amount that the bills usually were, divided by the number of pay periods in the month (if I was getting paid weekly, I'd divide the bill by 4, if I was getting paid fortnightly, divide by 2 - it meant you'd put extra aside by default).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Palo76
Level 2: Rookie

The answer is even easier, Telstra just needs to allow another option other than Autopay. This forced direct debit is just wrong

chuck89

Well I don't have anything direct debited from my account and I'm not about to start now.

I pay all my bills before I receive them so that I never see a large amount of money that has to be paid. It's always already paid because I divide up my bills into fortnightly or four weekly amounts and pay them in advance so that I'm generally either in credit or only have a small amount left to pay.

chuck89

I can't find any docs out there that supply figures that show the percentage of ppl who are paid by the calendar month vs those who are paid weekly or fortnightly, but I'll bet you your monthly salary that the majority of Australians are not paid by the calendar month and will therefore be inconvenienced, stressed, financially penalised and super dissatisfied with this new "console" idea.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit