CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

End of contract switch to SIM only plan

Today is the last day of my 24 month $59 per month mobile phone contract.

My current plan includes a 15GB monthly data allowance. I'm looking to move to the currently promoted 60GB $60 month-to-month SIM only plan; which I believe is a promotional price until Christmas Eve. All four Telstra SIM only plans currently offer a bonus of 10,000 Telstra Plus points.

THE Ts&Cs for the 10,000 bonus points don't say that you need to be a new customer but they do state:

"10,000 Telstra Plus bonus points: For customers who take up a new month-to-month mobile plan by 13 January 2020 and join our rewards program, Telstra Plus, within 30 days (if you’re not already a Telstra Plus member). You must be over 18 and have an active service to join. Excludes business customers. Existing members will be able to see their bonus points in the Telstra 24x7 app or in My Account within 30 business days from Telstra’s receipt of payment. Customers who are not enrolled in Telstra Plus at the time of making their eligible purchase will see their bonus points within 30 business days from enrolment."

If I switch plans or leave telstra today there is a payout fee of about $2.50 to pay.

If I start a new billing month and change my plan, will I just be charged a prorata amount (I guess about $2 per day) for the time into the new month? I really don't want to pay for a whole extra month for just a day or two. Or would I be batter of switching today?

Am I correct in my reading of the points bonus Ts & Cs, in that switching to one of the month-to-month plans (either today or at least before Jan 13) makes me eligible for the 10,000 Plus points bonus; going into my existing Telstra Plus member account?

Thanks guys!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Re: End of contract switch to SIM only plan

Hi pjs61,

At the moment Telstra have a promotion going, that you get a $10 discount per month for the first 12 month's on the $60, $80 or $100 month-to-month plans. 

If you choose the $60 plan, you would be paying $50/month for the first 12 months.

This offer ends 24th December 2019.

This offer is available to new and existing customer's.

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/sim-only-plans

I think you would also be entitled to the 10,000 Bonus Telstra Plus Points.

I'd suggest speaking to the Disconnection's team on 132200 (Mon-Sat 8am-9.30pm, Sunday 8am-8pm).

They'll be able to tell you if you're entitled to the Bonus Telstra Plus Points. 

They'll be able to explain if you're better off changing now, or waiting a day. They might even waive the $2.50 payout fee.

They'll also be able to change you onto the new plan.

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit