Stickypeas
Level 2: Rookie

Exchanging numbers between 2 different carriers

Answered

Hi, 

I have a optus mobile account that I used which was originally signed up by my Father over 20 years ago - due to laziness, though I use and pay for that particular number, I haven't yet changed the ownership of the number/account to myself.

I'd like to switch to Telstra, but I was wanting advice/suggestions in regards to transferring of mobile number. I know that if I transfer ownership from my Father to myself with my current Optus account, I can then sign up with a new Telstra contract and carry over the original Optus number, but is it possible to sign up with a new contract with Telstra now and THEN switch numbers at a later date, even without having to transfer the Optus number ownership from my Father to myself?

Sorry if the wording is confusing, but essentinally I'm asking whether I can sign up for a new Telstra mobile 24 month contract, obtain a new number since I'm previously an Optus mobile account holder, and then at a later date, can I switch mobile numbers between the Telstra and Optus mobile numbers, even though they may be under different account owners?

Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kalak
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Exchanging numbers between 2 different carriers

It would involve porting the number onto a blank service/SIM. Cancelling that service while holding the number (so it doesn't get returned to the original carrier quarantine pool). Then performing a change of number onto the existing service from that held number. Quite complicated and I'm not sure it's something they really offer.

That being said, is the service post-paid? If so, then you can port it directly onto an account in your name using the old Optus account number (rather than DOB). As long as you are the authorised user of the service, and you are willing to stipulate you have permission to port the number it'll go ahead without any problems.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Kalak
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Exchanging numbers between 2 different carriers

It would involve porting the number onto a blank service/SIM. Cancelling that service while holding the number (so it doesn't get returned to the original carrier quarantine pool). Then performing a change of number onto the existing service from that held number. Quite complicated and I'm not sure it's something they really offer.

That being said, is the service post-paid? If so, then you can port it directly onto an account in your name using the old Optus account number (rather than DOB). As long as you are the authorised user of the service, and you are willing to stipulate you have permission to port the number it'll go ahead without any problems.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit