Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Forced plan change

I have been forced to change my plan from $60 for 5G 60Gb to $65 for 5G 80Gb. 
In the instructions it was noted that if I don't proactively change, I will be force migrated to the $65 plan - if however I take the offer now I will be refunded $5 for the first 12 months. 

I took the plan (reluctantly) and now have been slugged with a $200+ 'first bill estimate' as if I am connecting a new service with 1 month pro rata installment. Furthermore, on this document it also shows my ongoing fee as $65 without the $5 discount applied. 

Calling Telstra in an attempt to discuss simply pushed me through a call tree which terminates the call and sends an sms to direct me to the account change webpage. 

This is absolutely unacceptable. I need a resolution and confirmation that these fees will not be charged. I am not direct debit for the reason I have no trust in Telstra handling their invoices correctly. These fees will not be paid until rectified. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Forced plan change

I am in a similar boat.  
Pay more per month of something I don't need, as I do not use all the data I have now, or go to something so ridiculously low, that it is not at all a reasonable offer.

I don't know the answer, or if there is any workaround, but I will be trying to find out.

Highlighted

There is no answer other than suck it up it seems. I spent almost 2 hours on Telstra chat going around in circles with no resolution. 

Next step. Ombudsman. 

Highlighted

I have the same email received Friday 14th August.  I am on Business Mobile Plan - Small $50/30GB plan, Telstra wants to force me to $55/40GB, I only used 8GB data this billing month, so I don't need the upgrade.

Been with Telstra for many years and I have never seen this kind of behavior from Telstra.
Especially during these times when it is impossible to reach customer support on the line, and no live chat available. I recommend calling 13200 and say 'complaints', you will get an Aussie on the line and explain your compliant. Good luck

Highlighted

Thanks for the recommendation regarding the complaints line, I'll gather my patience and give that a go today. 

Highlighted

I suggest we all complain through NSW Fair Trading and pass this along to others.

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hello @Bongozz, I'm happy to provide some further details. 

Any time you connect or change a plan there will be a pro rata element, for existing services this includes a pro rata credit of the old plan for the unused portion of the month in advance charge from your last bill, as well as the pro rata credit of the new plan for the same period. Pro rata is not an additional fee, this ensures that you only pay for the plan that you have on each individual day of the billing period.

It sounds like you're referring to the CIS (Critical Information Summary) document regarding the plan fee displayed. The CIS will only ever show the full plan fee, this is because that's the actual plan detail and what you'll see on the invoice itself. Any offers, discounts, or adjustments will be applied as a separate credit on the bill. 

I hope that clears up any confusion there, and you can find out more about why we're updates our mobile plans here: https://tel.st/ur84c.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Exact same position. I have spent yesterday on chat being sent in circles. Today on the complaints texting being told “too bad”. 
I don’t use my current 30gb and don’t need 10gb more at a higher price. Totally stupid suggestion was made (twice) to drop to the XS plan at $40 for 2gb. 
twice they have told me I will get access to 5G but that is incorrect on the Small plan, no 5G included. 
They sent me an explanation link that they are changing their plans to cover the 5G rollout. 
Totally crap customer service.  Very surprising. 
So incensed I think it’s time to move mobiles, home phone, home internet and Foxtel away from Telstra. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit