Finopoly
Level 2: Rookie

Have to wait 5 days to pick up a new Sim card

My tablet plan recently came to an end so I wanted to change my data plan. I visited the South Melbourne store to have my plan changed to a bigger plan but was told I wouldn’t qualify for the bonus 30,000 Telstra plus points as advertised as I was an existing customer. I was told that it was only for new customers so I asked if disconnecting and starting a new service would do. They said yes so signed up to a new service. Shock horror to find out that the new SIM card would not be ready to pick up until after 5 working days! Doesn’t make any sense as to why the long wait but it’s not like I’m going anywhere in the meantime. But it’s just another example of **bleep** service from Telstra really. I’m now considering paying Vodafone or Optus a visit and start my new data service with them and cancel my Telstra plan altogether. Got time on my hands now. There’s really no point of being loyal customers anymore. Just move service to get better deals I guess.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Have to wait 5 days to pick up a new Sim card

Thinking of the possible reasons........

It may have been because you were taking a new service (contract) and you have to be credit checked under the Responsible Lending rules.  

Or ... it's an disincentive to change contracts to take advantage of a marketing enticement.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Ozmoz
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Hi @Finopoly 

Drop back and let us know if the new SIM registered you as a new customer?

My understanding is you would have to have left Telstra for 6+ months to qualify as a new customer.

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper :-(

Footnote: I don't work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.
Finopoly

I agree it is most probably Telstra’s ridiculous disincentive to change contracts to take advantage of a marketing enticement. This isn’t how companies should behave especially towards their loyal customers.

Finopoly

I will - the rep did confirm that this would get me the points under the promotion. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit