rafified
Level 2: Rookie

Hilariously bad customer service trying to replace sim

My partner recently lost her phone. We have a spare. No drama. Just call telstra and disable the old sim get a new one. O. M. G.

What follows is the funniest dumbest interaction ever - the csr insisted the only way to verify her identity is to sms her. Only way. My partner explained again and again that she can't get a text because she lost her phone and the csr just kept quoting the privacy policy (as if it could conjure up a phone).

Eventually the CSR agreed to send a link... To her phone.

Anyway, here we are still no sim after more than an hour interaction. What a joke.

Easier to switch to optus. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Ozmoz
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Hilariously bad customer service trying to replace sim

Hi @rafified 

The easiest, and quickest way, is to call in to a Telstra store and pick up a blank SIM. Take ID and they will be able to transfer your partners account to the new SIM.

My body's absorbed so much hand sanitizer that when I pee, it cleans the toilet. 🙂

Footnote: I dont work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

You describe the situation using adjectives such as bad, dumb, and joke, but the Customer Service Representative has to follow procedure for security reasons, which are for the customer’s benefit.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Actually, the adjectives that the OP has used in this situation are quite accurate. Also, the Customer Service Rep needs to be retrained as there are other options for verifying the identity of a customer in those circumstances.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Smiley3
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

The other options I've previously been asked while talking to a Telstra consultant is my Driver's Licence number or what date and how much was my last recharge (as my service is Pre-Paid).

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.
Cas-Ra
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @rafified that's not a great experience at all, and there are certainly other options available for support to ID you safely when the SMS code isn't possible. 

As was suggested above the fastest solution is a quick in-store SIM swap, book ahead here: https://tel.st/7v7zry and we can get you sorted on the spot. 

Alternatively you can pick up a SIM kit from the supermarket, convenience store, variety store etc and we can activate that with your old number via Messaging support in the app using alternative ID.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Ozmoz

@Cas-Ra wrote:

Alternatively you can pick up a SIM kit from the supermarket, convenience store, variety store etc and we can activate that with your old number via Messaging support in the app using alternative ID.

Hi @Cas-Ra 

When did that change? I always thought you can't use a store bought SIM card to replace a lost/stolen/buggered SIM card. You had to use a blank SIM?

My body's absorbed so much hand sanitizer that when I pee, it cleans the toilet. 🙂

Footnote: I dont work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.
Cas-Ra
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Ozmoz Our new system and plans are a little more flexible with this in a sticky spot, but in some cases we may still need to send out a replacement instead. The best option is still to visit a Telstra Shop though. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Victimaswell
Level 1: Cadet

Nonsense. What happened to common sense? The root cause is that the csr’s were never taught comprehension at primary school.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit