Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

How can I unlock my iPhone? (overseas)

Answered

Hello, 

I have to my understanding an unusual problem.

I have used my iPhone 6 always with a Boost Mobile sim card. I got my phone for my birthday from a friend, who claims it was unlocked, and it really looks like it, since it has no Telstra logos in the box or anywhere. 

Thing is, i travelled overseas and now here whenever I try to put another sim card which is not the one I was using in Australia, I get a message saying that the phone is locked.

I tried restoring it from itunes, and I have all the latest software versions.

I rang Apple customer care and I was told that Telstra has set a Sim lock for my phone, I really dont know how did this happen but now i need to get it unlocked to use it here.

I tried the unlocking tool from that telstra provides, but when i chuck the imei number I get this message in a red box:

"If your mobile device is not an iPhone, iPad or a Pre-Paid service, it is already unlocked and you can insert another mobile provider's SIM card.

If you have any difficulty swapping your SIM, see Mobile Support or ask the crowd at CrowdSupport ®."

I supposed that being Boost Mobile a pre paid service, I should ring the numbers they say for pre paid service, but at the moment I am and will continue to be overseas, and I cant ring a number like 125 8880.

I really dont know what to do now.

Thanks in advance for your time and your answer.

Hernan.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: How can I unlock my iPhone? (overseas)

Hello,

You can ring Telstra from overseas on +61-2-92420570

They have a dedicated  unlocking department, so say "Unlocking"

That's the only suggestion I can make.

My understanding is that post paid iPhones are not locked since iPhone 5.

•  

To unlock a Telstra Pre-Paid iPhone, please call 125 8880.

Unlock your personal or business iPhone or iPad2 on a plan here. All iPhone 5 models and other iPad models on a plan are already unlocked.

You do not need to be a current Telstra customer to use this tool, however it can only unlock iPhone or iPad devices purchased from Telstra.

Locate the IMEI number on the iPhone or iPad you want to unlock:

1. Tap Settings
    2. Tap General
    3. Tap About
    4. Scroll down to IMEI
    5. Enter the 15 digit IMEI
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Boost don't normally sell top end phones like iPhones 6's, if your friend got it from a Telstra Store it is likely it would have been purchased outright, or on a plan, as they do not sell them on prepaid from Telstra either.... so if they sourced the phone from Telstra it would be unlocked as Telstra haven't SIM locked iPhones since the 4S a few years ago now.

There has been some issues I have seen with the iP6 Aus model and working with certain carriers in the US (I have only seen it come up on T-Mobile and US Cellular to be honest) but Telstra can't unlock a phone which wasn't locked in the first place is usually the response people get when they call...

You can try calling +61-2-92420570, which should put you through as if you called 132200, and if you say "Unlock device" when it asks you what you are after and you should hopefully be put through to the unlock team who will hopefully be able to help and double check that it wasn't added in some weird error but I don't know.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Hello,

You can ring Telstra from overseas on +61-2-92420570

They have a dedicated  unlocking department, so say "Unlocking"

That's the only suggestion I can make.

My understanding is that post paid iPhones are not locked since iPhone 5.

•  

To unlock a Telstra Pre-Paid iPhone, please call 125 8880.

Unlock your personal or business iPhone or iPad2 on a plan here. All iPhone 5 models and other iPad models on a plan are already unlocked.

You do not need to be a current Telstra customer to use this tool, however it can only unlock iPhone or iPad devices purchased from Telstra.

Locate the IMEI number on the iPhone or iPad you want to unlock:

1. Tap Settings
    2. Tap General
    3. Tap About
    4. Scroll down to IMEI
    5. Enter the 15 digit IMEI
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Boost don't normally sell top end phones like iPhones 6's, if your friend got it from a Telstra Store it is likely it would have been purchased outright, or on a plan, as they do not sell them on prepaid from Telstra either.... so if they sourced the phone from Telstra it would be unlocked as Telstra haven't SIM locked iPhones since the 4S a few years ago now.

There has been some issues I have seen with the iP6 Aus model and working with certain carriers in the US (I have only seen it come up on T-Mobile and US Cellular to be honest) but Telstra can't unlock a phone which wasn't locked in the first place is usually the response people get when they call...

You can try calling +61-2-92420570, which should put you through as if you called 132200, and if you say "Unlock device" when it asks you what you are after and you should hopefully be put through to the unlock team who will hopefully be able to help and double check that it wasn't added in some weird error but I don't know.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit