PaulQ
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

How do I track my data usage before I'm billed?

Answered

It’s possible and simple to monitor and manage your mobile data usage online or on your mobile before your bill is issued. The data summary displays:

• total data allowance
  • data remaining
  • percentage of data used
  • days remaining to use the data
  • a line graph representing the data allowance with green, orange or red representing the total amount of remaining data, and
  • a view of the current billing period as a list.

How quickly does the My Data Usage meter update?

Provided you disconnect your data session, the session will typically appear within My Data Usage within six hours. If you have over 1000 services, your Mobile Data usage meter may take up to 30 hours to show estimated charges.

If your device is always connected, and you do not disconnect your data sessions, your usage will be updated every 24 hours after the session was first initiated.

We strongly recommend you end your data session manually once you finish using your smart phone if you want as close to realtime notifications as possible. The easiest and simplest ways to do this include switching to flight mode and back again, turning off cellular data and then back on again or turning the handset off and on again.

Note that your device may remain connected unless you close all browsers after each session, or because you have automatic updates set for programs or applications (such as weather).

Data usage notifications may be up to 48 hours delayed, but will typically capture most services that exceeded a threshold in the previous day. If you have a data pack, see our FAQ to How can I receive data usage messages via SMS?

From June 9, we will send you an SMS or email alert when you use over 50%, 85% and 100% of your plan allowance unless you've opted out. Please refer here for more info

Please note: that data used whilst roaming internationally does not appear in the Mobile Data Usage Meter, and usage notifications will not be sent if you reach or exceed your monthly data allowance during this time.

To manage this online;

You need to register for My Account and log in to My Data Usage and follow the on-screen instructions

To manage this on your mobile;

1. Connect to the BigPond® Mobile portal by selecting the BigPond icon on your handset, or type m.bigpond.com into your mobile’s browser and save it as a bookmark.
  2. Click on the ‘My’ tab at the top of the screen to see information on My Plan ManagerTM
  3. Select the ‘View Data Usage’ button and follow the on-screen instructions

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DanK
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Accepted Solution

Re: How do I track my data usage before I'm billed?

For the most up to date information on mobile usage we recommend that you check out the Telstra 24x7 App

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
jokiin
Level 21: Augmented

Probably worth mentioning that this doesn't work over Wi-Fi, it needs to be accessed via 3G, but it's unmetered anyway, plenty of people leave Wi-Fi on all the time if you then go to check their usage and can't you need to toggle Wi-Fi off to get to the usage page

another alternative if you'd rather not be toggling settings on and off is to use an app to check the usage, these just do the login via whatever connection is available and display in a similar easy to read format, apps like Consume are popular for this http://bjango.com/iphone/consume/ (this is for iPhone but there are other similar apps about for other platforms)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
alpha_whiskey
Level 3: Gumshoe

Love the new look to the data usage meter too! Smiley Wink

keshun4
Level 1: Cadet

I have received a sms saying

"Your customer set spend threshold has been reached. Visit www.telstra.com to view your bill details"

When I went into the telstra site it says I have used just under 50% of my monthly calls and sms so why am I receiving a message like this?

I found it extremely difficult to get an email to actually send a message and I don't want to use the phone and be charged for even more usage.

I would appreciate either a phone call on **** *** *** or a return email clarifying that my account still has over half my monthly usage in phone calls and sms before I reach my threshold.

Thank you

Regards

Keiren Shun

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

I can only assume that you have an Old "Spend Threshold" set on your service. If you contact LiveChat, they should be able to amend this or remove it.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

DanK
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Accepted Solution

For the most up to date information on mobile usage we recommend that you check out the Telstra 24x7 App

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit