Boatman1
Level 1: Cadet

How many mobile services are allowed under a single account name?

I have a bigpond bundle plus 4 mobile phones and 2 ipads under my name. I went to the Telstra shop to sign up for a new Iphone over 3 years on a plan to replace my old phone. Simple? No. Told I can only have 3 mobile devices not 6 on one account as I have. So cannot replace my phone. I guess Telstra want me to go to the opposition for a new phone. Is there any way around the problem? Seems Telstra want each family member to have their own account.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: How many mobile services are allowed under a single account name?

Many years ago there was a 5 service limit on consumer accounts. 3 sounds very odd as I have 4 and I know quite a few families who have 4 or more services with Telstra on the one account.

These days you need to pass a credit check to verify that you have the capacity to pay (the fact that you may have never missed a payment doesn't really factor into the process other than to not count against you). That may be the real problem.

You could try chatting with a consultant via 132200 to see if they tell you the same thing (or give you more information), and if you can't get it resolved that way, lodge a formal complaint via https://telstra.com/complaints

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Boatman1

Thank-you for your reply. I worked for PMG and Telstra for forty years and have had my 4 mobile devices since the mobile brick days. The only reason I now have 6 services is because Telstra convinced me to sign up for the 2 IPads two years ago.  So all I wanted to do this time was replace one of my mobiles with a new phone on a plan. According to the Telstra shop I am only allowed 3 services on my account. Looks like I can never upgrade my phones so looks like Telstra want to to maybe cancel 3 of the contacts and switch maybe Optus. You are possibly right with the a credit check rejection   But I just calculated I could afford 2500 IPhones outright so the credit check is not indicative of repayment capacity. I will pursue your suggestions. Thank-you. 

Paggnr

I have run into the exact same issue today. After over 10 years as a Gold customer with 5 devices. Did this ever get resolved?

JoJoH
Support Team
Support Team

It does depend on your current spend levels and how many devices it allows you to have after your credit assessment. If you have one that is almost paid off. Wait to it is paid off or pay out the handset that way you will have one less when you try and apply for a new handset. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

FISHFOODGROUP

I have the same problem now - we will go over to optus as they don't have this issue. Also - they do data sharing on post-paid accounts. (another thing Telstra have removed)

They just don't care anymore

Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Telstra do data sharing on their Upfront mobile and data plans.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit