bern
Level 1: Cadet

I really want to become a Telstra customer, but you won't let me....

Hello community!

I wanted to share a quick version of a rather drawn out failed attempt at becoming a Telstra customer.

Two days ago I walked into a Telstra store to port across my Vodafone telephone number to Telstra, on a $100 post-paid plan.  Two years of contract value, with a new Galaxy S4 as part of the plan.  I had it all worked out with the great store staff and thought it would be easy.  That is until they tried to create my account.

For some reason, I was ‘credit-declined’ and informed by the store staff that unfortunately they could not do anything and that I had to call the PACC team to look into the matter.

So I did.  They didn’t want to speak to me, and passed me on to another team on another 1800 number, who investigated on my behalf (this chap - Thom/Tom was great).  The reason I was credit-declined it seems, is because I have never been a Telstra customer, and I had no prior credit rating.  Fair enough, but I have been with Vodafone for 5 years on a post-paid, have a great credit profile, good steady income with an employer over the last 12 years.  So what’s the issue?  Surely someone could hit the magic button and make this an easy thing to override?  Well, not that simple it seems.

I spent the next 2 hours on the phone with various Telstra call centres (6 in total), in various parts of the world, trying to plead my case to become a customer.  Only once, did I have an inkling of going somewhere after speaking to a person name Jai who created my account, asked me all the relevant personal details (now the 5th time I’ve had to convey this information to a different person) and put me into the ‘system’.  As soon as he transferred me to the Sales team however, I had to start this process all over again.  Personal details, what plan I want, why it didn’t work the first etc etc.  Once the sales person heard my story, she suggested that I wasn’t qualified for a post-paid plan, and that I would have to go to a 6 month pre-paid plan before I was offered a post paid account...Aaaaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhh…..

I tried to explain to her that I was ready to sign up for 2 years, for a higher contract value, because I needed the handset.  “I’m sorry sir but this is not possible.  You need to establish a profile first before we can offer you a plan…”

At this point I gave up and called the complaints hotline.  Spoke to a lovely lady there who assured me that we could work this out (after I explained her the story and issues – now a 7th time). 

We were getting somewhere…yes!  And just as she tried to transfer me, the call dropped out.  Mind you I was calling from a landline at work....Aaaaaaarrrgh....

So I called again on the complaint line and spoke to yet another person, whom I explained everything to again (8th time), who transferred me to the (you guessed it) Sales team.  Spoke to a lovely lady with a NZ accent, to whom I again explained my story to (now 9th time) only to be informed that the only way to become a customer, was to get a fixed line for 6 months, after which I would be eligible for a post paid account.  You are kidding right?  This is the 21st century, fixed lines are no longer needed.  I need the mobile handset, am willing to sign up for 24 months, and yet I’m told I can’t…..

Being at wits end,  I asked the Sales person to delete my account from the ‘system’ as I was now frustrated beyond belief.  I spoke to no less than 9 people in the space of 4 hours, repeating my story to everyone (including supervisors), only to be told I cannot be a Telstra mobile post paid customer without having an established credit profile.

Um, maybe I’m missing something, but how do new customers, who walk in off the street with no prior history with Telstra get an account?  Surely, I’m not alone in this…..

To check this, I went back to the Telstra store, just to chat with the lovely girl who helped me out initially.  She informed me that just that morning (the very next day after my episode) she had yet another customer (this time a business customer) experience the exact same thing.  This time the sale was worth thousands of dollars.

So what is the issue?  Is it your credit checker partner?  Is it the automated system logic which looks at the rationale as to why a customer is declined?  Is it human error at point of sale, you know, hitting the wrong button, selecting the wrong choice in a drop down form?

I work in IT service delivery, and have done so for the last 18 years.  But this is a serious fail in system and business process complexity, where a new customer is knocked back because he or she have never been with Telstra before.

Telstra, you are losing potential customers daily.  Hundreds of thousands of dollars-worth of revenue.  Help us help you!

May I suggest that in cases such as this, you implement an exceptions process, which requires one persons time (30-60mins) to clear through the system.  This won't cost you more than $150.00 in staff expenses for the hour.  But it will make you a whole lot more revenue over the next 24 months.

I'm really hopeful of becoming a Telstra customer.  I'm not giving up.  But you are not making it easy.

As a parting final thought (and to add insult to injury), the really sad thing is that I am a Telstra share holder…

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Lindy
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: I really want to become a Telstra customer, but you won't let me....

hi Bern 

Firstly welcome to Crowd Support Smiley Happy 

The Australian Communications Industry Forum (ACIF) Credit Management code states that Telstra must perform s credit assessment when a customer is applying to us for credit.   

For our Credit Assessments to be passed there are many factors of information considered to determine if the Credit Assessment is satisfied. 

There are many reasons why a Credit application may be declined, and one of the most common is due to the new Customer not having any previous history with Telstra.

While this may be frustrating for you, in the circumstance of a Mobile Phone contract being involved, we really do need to be sure that we have the correct billing information, up to date contact details and also viability to pay bills on time. 

There is a process where this decline decision can be disputed, and I would be more than happy to lodge this dispute for you if you could provide me with some information. 

I will send you a PM so that we can work together offline to lodge this dispute. 

Lindy Smiley Happy 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

CSUser398

Yep, same thing happened to me.

I also think that the customer service reply to your comment is just as lame as the policy.

I have had a mobile phone since I was 17.  I am now 34 and have been with Optus, Vodafone, Orange, 3, Virgin and now TPG.

The idea that between that and the amazing credit rating that I have the telstra thinks that I am not a trustworthy customer goes to show that they dont deserve my business.  Applying for a BYO plan with Telstra was aganst my better judgement so it is probably for the best that the have rejected me.

If nothing else telstra, you have higlighted the fact that Vodafone is a far superior telco to you in customer service so with them I will stay.

Lauren90

Hi,

The same thing has happened to me, except that Telstra approved my application, SENT ME A PHONE and then when I tried to activate they changed their minds. I'm curious to know what has happened to your case?

saronic
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra must have tightened up the rules only very recently, and it sounds like they may have gone a little overboard and in the process are penalising legitimate  prospective customers.

The reason I say this is because I have a limited income and yet I had no problems at all. Moreover, (and you will love this one) I know of somebody who 3 yrs ago signed up for home phone, broadband, T-hub, ipad and mobile phone plans with no problem either. Now this guy already owed Telstra money, was on Newstart, and had  an absolutely  shocking credit history.  Needless to say, Telstra ended up regretting their decision, but  I was amazed at the time that they put up with him for  2 years despite the fact that he rarely paid.

Unfortunately, its sounds like you a paying for Telstra's previous lax policies.

Ella12

This exact same thing has just happened to me over the past week. I am sick of telstra rejecting me for literally no reason apart from the fact that maybe I have never been with Telstra before? It legitmately makes zero sense and none of the 6 people I have spoken to seem to be able to explain to me why Telstra will not sell me a phone!

Cas-Ra
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Ella12, I am sorry to hear that at this time your application for a post-paid service with us was declined. We are not required to provide you with an exact reason, suffice to say that for whatever reason you did not meet our credit criteria at this time. To help you build your credit history with Telstra we recommend connecting a home phone line and after 6 months of good billing history you can reapply. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit