FedUp-IWantOut
Level 1: Cadet

Is Telstra breaking the law here?

Telstra disconnected my mobile service by mistake, I never gave them authorisation to do so.  I have had to purchase a new pre-paid sim kit and they have replaced the new phone number with my original number. The problem is I have lost all ability to send and receive SMS as a result. Almost all online services use SMS verification now, I am unable to log in to so many of my essential services. After spending 3 hours on live chat fault finding, I was told a level 2 tester would contact me to further fault find. Of course, no call came. I followed up and was told within 2 hours I would be contacted by a level 2 tester. Of course, no call came. Now I have been told 2-5 business days for someone to contact me? Are you guys kidding?

I have had enough, I want out of this entire ordeal, I am at an absolute mental breaking point. I can't even port my number which I have had for 20+ years to another service because I need to be able to receive a verification SMS. Surely Telstra is breaking some law here by holding my number hostage and failing to provide a means to adequately change providers? How can I take this out of their hands and into the authorities? This is my last-ditch effort to resolve things.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Is Telstra breaking the law here?

You could lodge a complaint with the Ombudsman via https://tio.com.au but it may take them a while to do anything as they are swamped as well.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Does the problem stay if you put your SIM card into another phone or reset your phone?.

FedUp-IWantOut

Yes it does. As of this morning, Telstra have done something because now I can send and receive messages between iphones and on/off wifi. Still cant send and receive SMS to non iphone though, still cant recieve automated SMS from verification services etc. Have tried my sim card in a different iphone and a samsung phone, still doesnt work. Have already gone through all the usual fault finding stuff with the live chat person (turn phone on/off, turn imessage on/off, reset network settings etc). Off to an Optus store in person now to see if they will be able to port my number without the SMS verification. This is honestly the most ridiculous thing ever...

Dowser

You can probably “send and receive messages between iphones” because iMessage will use internet data to do so (if it’s available).

Another thing that you could try is visiting a Telstra Store and asking them to issue a new SIM card on the spot, because at this stage it is non conclusive whether the issue is with your SIM card or your Telstra mobile service setup.

FedUp-IWantOut

Yep, I went into the Optus store and they were so helpful and empathetic towards my situation. One of the first things they told me to do was to go back to the telstra store and ask them to issue a new sim card. They did that knowing full well if it solved the problem I probably would have stayed with Telstra.  The staff in the Optus store told me if that didn't work they were more than willing to make every call necessary to try and verify my identity without an SMS code so they could port me over. The level of customer service was chalk and cheese.

So Telstra issued a new SIM, I tried to send an SMS to an android device in their store which worked but I still couldnt receive one back. Got told to come back Monday when another employee would be working who might know more. Went straight back to the Optus store and managed to port over to them straight away. See ya later Telstra, never again. The difference in my customer service experience between these two companies have been light and day. Will begin cancelling the rest of my Telstra services now too and moving them over to someone else. Thanks for weeks of absolute hell Telstra, and I note its now been 5 days since my formal complaint and not a single response after i was promised "someone would get back to me within 24 hours"... yeah, thats what you always say 

Dowser

Feel free to leave feedback for Telstra, including a link to this thread.

I’m glad that you can now send/receive SMS messages.

FedUp-IWantOut

Haha feedback, yeah right. I submitted a complaint nearly a week ago now.

When you submit the complaint it says someone will respond within 24 hours. I have followed up on my complaint 2 times over live chat, each time being "promised" I would get a response within 24 hours. Just like the technical support I needed with my SMS fault, all promise but never once actually followed through. If they actually ever do contact me to address my complaint, they will certainly be getting some good "feedback".

Jupiter

Complaints take up to 5 business days to get allocated to a Complaints Manager. It would be very rare to get a response any quicker.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit