bishreds
Level 1: Cadet

Lost phone on Contract. New one on monthly payments?

I seem to have lost my mobile phone while using it overseas. I am on a contract. Can I buy a new phone on monthly payments? I have been a Telstra customer for a number of years with multiple services (Home Phone, Foxtel, Internet and Mobile). Any help here would be much appreciated.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Boggles
Level 15: Special Agent

Re: Lost phone on Contract. New one on monthly payments?

Unfortunately you cannot add an 'MRO only' to your account anymore.

The only way to get a new handset is to recontract (or buy one outright). You will then be able to pay the ETC's from current contract either on a monthly basis or pay it all in one lump sum on your next bill.

I think this is a service that is badly needed. So many people lose or break handsets, why can't Telstra make something available so that you can just add an MRO to your plan. (like they used to)

Smiley Happy

Windows Phone Enthusiast, Nokia Lumia 920, 1020 & 520, Microsoft Surface. Windows 8.1. Employed in Telecommunications industry.

I DO NOT work for Telstra, all views and opinions are my own and I do not represent any company whilst in this forum. Follow any advice I give at your own risk as I hold no liability if my advice is wrong.
bishreds
Level 1: Cadet

Ah, I thought that was possible. I'm happy to keep the current contract and add $20 extra per month for a new handset. I just started a new contract. So I have 20 months left on the contract, which leaves me with the option to buy outright :S.
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

You Should be able to cancel the current MRO and get a new MRO still? Or get a new $10 plan and just add a MRO to that 😛

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Boggles

Yes, you can get a new MRO on a $10 plan, depending on the handset you want. It can be a max value of $679 on current member plans. 

I have a MRO, on a freedom connect plan and I wanted to just add another MRO (obviously without an MRO bonus) to get the HTC Titan.

I did not wish to recontract but just have it run along side. I was told it cant be done. 

I also do not wish to pay an extra $240 for any handset.( Getting MRO on new $10 plan)

Smiley Sad

Windows Phone Enthusiast, Nokia Lumia 920, 1020 & 520, Microsoft Surface. Windows 8.1. Employed in Telecommunications industry.

I DO NOT work for Telstra, all views and opinions are my own and I do not represent any company whilst in this forum. Follow any advice I give at your own risk as I hold no liability if my advice is wrong.
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

You can get a new MRO I thought, but just not the MRO bonus.

in the system, they just delete the MRO and re-add it. There isn't any rule that says you have to upgrade your contact in the customer terms?

You would, however, forfeit your MRO bonus on both the old and new MRO. 

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Boggles

According to Telstra, you cannot just add an MRO to a plan, any handset that is in the SUB MRP Handset list. All smartphones are on this list. I have tried to get the HTC Titan added to my plan but they will not do it. Said I have to purchase outright. Or recontract and pay ETC's.Smiley Sad

There are a couple of exceptions i.e Motorola Defy+ MRO on $129 Everyday Connect plan. But any new smartphone goes straight onto this list, therefore cannot be added to your current plan.

ZTE T54, T3, Samsung 5511 are amongst the handsets available on MRO. I would rather continue on with my HD7 with its broken screen. Smiley Mad

I know there is not a lot af profit in handsets for Telstra but I would gladly pay a second MRO and the handset I wanted was around $800. That would easily be an extra $200 profit they would have got from me. Don't forget the customer satisfaction! Smiley Very Happy

Boggles

That should have been $130 everyday connect!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit