amw
Level 2: Rookie

Mobile number changing/porting personal to business

Answered
I have an iPhone 5 on a 24 month contract with Telstra (personal). I want to keep this phone and service, but change the number so that my current number can be used for a new phone I will be getting from my employer (also with Telstra but on their business plan).

I have made many calls and paid a visit to 2 different Telstra stores, and my workplace has also made enquiries through their mobile communications provider, and each time we get a different response. Most say it is impossible, or involves a number of steps, but I am not confident that any of them have given me the correct answer.

I am happy to use temporary numbers if that will help, but I am concerned that if I begin the process I will be told down the track that I can't retrieve my old number. (Apparently once a number is sent to quarantine it can no longer be used.)

To further complicate things, the number I would like for my current phone (that is, after my number is ported to my work phone!) is the number that my husband had in his previous job. He is in the process of having ownership of that number transferred over to him.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ben_J
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Mobile number changing/porting personal to business

Hi amw,

What you're describing certainly would be a fiddly, multi-step process unfortunately.

The steps as I see it would break down like this:

1) Your husband finishes getting his old number, let's call it 04BBBBBBBB, transferred into his name.

2) You and he then have 04BBBBBBBB transferred into your name on your existing account, onto an uncontracted Casual plan, which is then disconnected.

(If it's not too late to have it transferred from his employer directly into your name then the above is obviously a bit simpler)

3) Your current number, 04AAAAAAAA, gets changed to 04BBBBBBBB, which we'll be able to do because it last existed under your ownership. The service remains on the same plan with the same contract/MRO.

4) Another Casual plan service is activated on your account with the number 04AAAAAAAA, which can be done because you were the previous owner of that as well.

5) A transfer of ownership is done for the Casual plan 04AAAAAAAA onto your employer's business account.

The reason this is so complicated is that once numbers are disconnected and go into quarantine they can only be reconnected under the same legal entity.

I hope this helps!

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Ben_J
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi amw,

What you're describing certainly would be a fiddly, multi-step process unfortunately.

The steps as I see it would break down like this:

1) Your husband finishes getting his old number, let's call it 04BBBBBBBB, transferred into his name.

2) You and he then have 04BBBBBBBB transferred into your name on your existing account, onto an uncontracted Casual plan, which is then disconnected.

(If it's not too late to have it transferred from his employer directly into your name then the above is obviously a bit simpler)

3) Your current number, 04AAAAAAAA, gets changed to 04BBBBBBBB, which we'll be able to do because it last existed under your ownership. The service remains on the same plan with the same contract/MRO.

4) Another Casual plan service is activated on your account with the number 04AAAAAAAA, which can be done because you were the previous owner of that as well.

5) A transfer of ownership is done for the Casual plan 04AAAAAAAA onto your employer's business account.

The reason this is so complicated is that once numbers are disconnected and go into quarantine they can only be reconnected under the same legal entity.

I hope this helps!

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

View solution in original post

amw
Level 2: Rookie

thanks Ben, I was able to find a really helpful person at the Telstra store in Bourke St, and I am pleased to report that the whole process has gone through, without a hitch. It really does depend on who who get to deal with your problem, but i am a happy telstra customer once again.

TheL
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi amw, 

Thanks for the update and we're super glad to hear that you received the appropriate support and  it's all sorted out now. 

- Luis

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit