Level 3: Gumshoe

Mobile Plan Change

Answered

I have received a email from Telstra stating that one of my mobile services is being upgraded. I am currently paying $50 per month for this service and the new plan (Small) is going to be $55 with a $5 credit for 12 months. I do not want to change my plan. Can I be forced to change.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Mobile Plan Change

The old plans are being retired and everyone is being migrated across to the current plans (which is allowed, with notice). You can discuss your options by either calling 132200 or by sending a message using the My Telstra app on your mobile (blue icon, bottom right of the Get Help screen). If Codi directs you elsewhere, type "Speak to a human" and you should be transferred to the queue to chat to human.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
45 REPLIES 45
Accepted Solution

The old plans are being retired and everyone is being migrated across to the current plans (which is allowed, with notice). You can discuss your options by either calling 132200 or by sending a message using the My Telstra app on your mobile (blue icon, bottom right of the Get Help screen). If Codi directs you elsewhere, type "Speak to a human" and you should be transferred to the queue to chat to human.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Level 4: Private Eye

Yes I have received the same message and it’s completely unacceptable to force an upgrade onto customers who don’t want or need it, then charge them extra for it. My current 30 GB/$50 plan is more than adequate - in fact, as we are mostly at home these days, most of my data is accessed through the home WIFI. I am a fairly prolific internet user even when I’m out and I still struggle to use 10% of my present allocation. As we have both recently taken the plunge to upgrade our 6 year old Mobile phones on a 3 year payment plan we do not wish to add a further unplanned $5 a month each to our costs for Mobile data that we will never ever use. 

Traditionally, when Broadband plans have changed over the last few years, Telstra have upgraded our home broadband to the new plan at no charge. 

Tradition has gone out the window along with your current 30GB/$50 plan. On the up side, you effectively have 12 months to decide what you want to do before the price increase kicks in.

This is clearly and simply a money grab by Telstra to get more income at a time when so many are out of work or suffering hardship. What makes Telstra think they’re so special that they can force a customer price rise at a time like this. 

I have been a loyal Telstra customer for many years but not any more. They have overstepped the mark. 

Telstra isn't anything special in that regards, a lot of companies are still increasing their prices at the moment (including other Telcos - Aussie Broadband for one).

If you don't use much data and are looking for a cheaper option, have a look at belong.com.au

They have a $40 per month plan that gives you 40GB and a $25 plan that gives you 10GB with calls and SMS included.

Level 2: Rookie

I got put into their new plan $50. For 30gb this autumn! I am paying $45. Till November then it was meant to go to $50. Now they want to up that? I’m not even using 30gb of data and I’m home all day! I don’t  understand how a plan can no longer be available in just a few months  

I tried to cool and all the automated device did was direct me to the Telstra app and then hang up on me

I then tried the chat and this is the final response and now they’ve got another virtual idiot picking up where the other left off

Live each day like it's your last: - one day, you'll get it right

No we have 30 days thats all. Change your plan or leave what choices when you are on the lowest plan and dont even use 15gb/mth. Yes annoyed i have to find  another $144 per year for 2 phones. Cash grab says it all...

Belong uses Telstra network includes

Unlimited data bank -Carry over your unused data to next month with no limits to how much data is in your bank

And is cheaper by $15/mth then Telstras new charge plan. Sounds like a goer for me and i save $360 year over 2 phones. Becomes a no brainer. Bye Telstra...

Level 1: Cadet

I agree totally, I  went and changed my plan to $65 per month with promo code ONLINE10MOBILE24 for a ten dollar a month discount except it didn't apply it. And I can't get a customer service officer to sort it out, what is going on Telstra 

Me to, very frustrating.

Level 21: Augmented

I too have done the upgrade from $50 to $55 before the end of September. Got e-mail that I have been upgraded and will be receiving $5 discount for the next 12 months. The bill came and the discount nowhere to be seen... Will wait for the next period and will start screaming if it is not there...

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Support Team
Support Team

I'd recommend checking your next bill and if you still haven't received the credit, send a message through the My Telstra app

You can send a message by selecting 'get help' and then the blue speech bubble.

The team will also be able to credit back for the months you didn't receive it.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

I also do not want to change my plan.  I live on a tight budget and do not agree to this.  Lo and behold a $5 increase on my bill for no reason!  Without sufficient notice!  I finally found the ONE email notification hiding in my junk mail.  This is not acceptable Telstra, nothing more than a money grab.  I will be fighting this as high as I can go.

Hi LukeV from the Support team,

Will Telstra allow using email to communicate with the various departments? I find that calling uses a lot of my time and the chat service is frustrating - very poor english, responses take forever and have wasted entire nights!

I have just cancelled my contract - very expensive - for this reason.  They said they informed me, but I cant find any correspondence about this. I read in the contract the "No Lock-in" Clause and yes, they can change the pricing whenever they want. It was no lock-in for Telstra, not the customer. I was a customer for 36 years. This "chat to an illiterate" service was the final straw. Vote with your feet - Leave.

I just received my bill, first I knew of the contract change. I rang, spoke to automation, was given a link to SMS then Telstra hung up.  Tried SMS, no matter how many times I said I didn't get notification their answer was We have sent you notification via SMS and email. Due to my loyalty they have offered $10 discount for 6 months, like that will make up for the extra $5 / month until the phone is payed off (nearly 2 years extra), too expensive to cancel. This 'conversation' went on for 2 hours.

My family has 5 phones with Telstra, been with them for ever. We will be looking elsewhere when our contracts end. Loyalty should go both ways.

Telstra is still kicking goals in this department i see. After the third party charge fiasco you would think they would have learnt, but no. Ontop of all of the other crap they have pulled over the years.

I noticed this on my latest bill. After signing a new fixed 36month contract in APRIL this year, apparently im now on a no lock in contract without my consent, while also being charged more.... I found the "notification" of this changes only today after going through my junk folder to find it after contacting telstra in regards to my issue. Good work yet again Telstra. Have rung Telstra about this crap and apparently this is the new business model.... to "streamline" their services... I dont remember asking for an extra 10gb of data, nor an increase on my billing charges.... i barely use 1gb a month across 3 devices, because i have home internet also..... Pull your head in Telstra, these stunts and blatant money grabs are getting really old. time to contact the ombudsman i think.

The 36 month contract was for the phone repayments, not the actual service (which is month to month). A lot of people didn't realise that.

$10 for 6 months is the same as $5 for 12 Months - like the boyfriend that turns out wrong - rip him off like a bandaid!

I'm not sure that's accurate, Mighty J - the text in my contract specifically states that the 36 month contract is for the device, accessories and actual service, which is post-paid month by month.

It states that "We'll give you at least 30 day's notice before making changes" - that notice was sent from their marketing account, which is blocked or sent to junk in most people's inbox.  If they sent the notice from the same account as the billing account (makes sense to me) everyone would be aware of it and not irate that they tried to sneak an extra $5 out of us.  For me, I received no notice as I asked them in writing to unsubscribe me from all non-account related correspondence.

It also includes the misleading statement: "If you don't like the changes.......you can choose a new plan or cancel your plan" which is a bit rough if you're on the cheapest plan.  As I was. My complaint is on three items - no notice, unfair "plan" and impossible to contact in a fair and equitable manner.  Why are there no call centres due to Covid? Can the virus attack staff at home as well?

It also includes the misleading statement: "If you don

I managed to get hold of an actual human being after spending days & days on that fkd Telstra App, Chat & phoning in.  I am now credited that extra five dollars ($10) each month for the next 12 months on 2 phones ... I too have a 2 year contract - but apparently I am to ring up & ask for another 12 month credit

Live each day like it's your last: - one day, you'll get it right

If i were to port out, will this affect my Binge account?

Only if you were having it billed to your Telstra account (that includes the free offer).

https://www.tio.com.au/

Easy to do online

Complaint against the changes as I am also happy with 30 GB and don't need more cost and data .if we all complain the management may get  the message.its covid and we don't need more  erosion of our income.

Same as me ,so let's flood management with complaints about being forced to take something that we don't need 

Just had a look at belong.com.au. That’s a Telstra subsidiary!

Bizarre. 

Different rates same company. 

Think I’d rather take my business somewhere else. 

Belong only uses the Telstra Wholesale network, so doesn't have the same coverage as Telstra itself.

Thanks for this tip, I have three mobile phones with Telstra so the price increase is beyond my budget. I’ll be having a look at Belong tonight.

Hi Jupiter, are you employed by Telstra Corporation, it's affiliated or associated companies? Your advice seems either dismissive of the complainant or defensive or supportive of Telstra/Belong.

Your advice to fieldflowersgoe was incorrect Jupiter - this quote is lifted directly from the Belong website:

"Belong is part of Telstra, using its own network; this may provide peace of mind, knowing you could get a Telstra-like connection for a fairly low price."

Hi Jane and Brett, this is directly from Belongs website:

Belong is part of Telstra, using its own network; this may provide peace of mind, knowing you could get a Telstra-like connection for a fairly low price. 

I just thought you should know.

Complain to the complaints section and tell them you don't want extra charges and data. Keep stating you don't want it ,they will offer 12 months  deduction ,then refuse it they will offer 24 months deduction and then say no.If we all do this  Adolf Hitler the CEO will get the message. Then go to Boost Mobile same network better price.

complain to the complaints section and tell them that you are not making the change and are happy with the plan you have and they will offer 12 months deduction for your time and then say no and they will offer 24 months deduction then say no and maybe Adolf the CEO may get a hint not to price gouge his T22 strategy

Lucky you. I received no notification and so therefore no option of a $5 credit. I am thinking of going to prepaid instead.

Hi Luke, that sound reasonable, if only you could communicate with Telstra, instead you get the run around and hung up on. Not all customers are tech nerds, some of us are real humans. Genuine question, how do you talk to someone at Telstra to sort your issue???

Call complaints about it 

Support Team
Support Team

@realhuman if you could tell me a little more about what you need help following up I can work out how to help you best -Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

@Angela_H , @realhuman has already stated his problem clearly, he wants to talk to a real human about his issue, not a bot or foreign national texting poor English via the app. Your reply exemplifies the issue most retail customers have withTelstra - not listening to the residential customer. I really wish I could have stayed with Telstra.

They need to listen to the customer We don't want to get more data for a extra charge.This called a rate rise by theft and stealth, saying that the old plan is being upgraded. As a shareholder  I am appalled by this behaviour and attitude so I will sell my shares and get a new provider .If I needed more data I would have upgraded to the next plan not be forced by the dictators in boffin world😠

@CBB16 you should probably have looked at the coverage map of the Belong website as well where it states:

"WE USE PART OF TELSTRA’S 3G AND 4G NETWORK

We use part of Telstra’s mobile network, covering 97% of the Australian population with 4G and over 98.8% of the population with 3G."

Take note of the word "part", that is there because they use the Telstra Wholesale network and not the full Telstra network.

Hi @Jupiter, I thank you for your reply, and the informative comment on Telstra and Belong's Network Coverage.  I stand by my original statement, which proposed that Belong is a Telstra subsidiary, which opposes your original advice to @fieldflowersgoe to try Belong if they are dissatisfied with Telstra.

I simply advised them of the company ownership.  At no point did I disagree with your network coverage statement or Telstra's "Wholesale Network" statement.  I did disagree that they should try Belong if they were dissatisfied with Telstra.

I have noticed in subsequent post by that member that they have done their due diligence, did not take my statement as fact and arrived at the same conclusion - Belong is a subsidiary of Telstra.

Andy Penn has no idea on customer service and is too busy trying to split the company into three to gain a pay rise.I tried to report a broken Telstra pit outside the house and one hour on hols to the Phillipines call centre  and cut off before it was answered.They have the gall to raise our plans by stealth mode and can't even answer a call about dangerous infrastructure. This management is lost in there own boardroom and need sacking.

Support Team
Support Team

HI @Catfood, you can certainly report any damaged infrastructure here: https://tel.st/gjycd for our field teams to take a look at that for you asap.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit