Ben0007
Level 2: Rookie

New mobile for exiting plan

I have the Next G Cap Plan $49 which is out of contract. 

Can I get a new mobile from Telstra and add it to my plan as a "MRO" and pay off the mobile in 24 x monthy payments ?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Christos
Level 18: Intelligence Chief

Re: New mobile for exiting plan

Hi Ben0007

Unfortunately that is not possible, you would need to re-contract on one of Telstra's current Post paid offers to take out an MRO.

- C 

If you've found a  then don't forget to mark that post accordingly

Kudos  Recognise someone for their help by clicking this button on their post

Stick around great things are happening in Moderator

Ben0007

So the cheapest way to get a new iPhone 5 on a post paid plan is the $60/month plan plus $7/month for the 16gb model?

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Currently, yes, which is still a few hundred dollars cheaper then the Outright purchase price Smiley Happy

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Ben0007

Actually it's not cheaper because at the end of the 24 month contract, I'm still paying $60 instead of $39. Another 24 months after that will add $504 to plan costs, and so on...

I would buy one outright if I had the cash. 

Ben_F

@Ben0007 wrote:

Actually it's not cheaper because at the end of the 24 month contract, I'm still paying $60 instead of $39. Another 24 months after that will add $504 to plan costs, and so on...

My point being that, when you exit your 24 month contract, you are entitled to change to any of the In-Market plans available at that time, or transfer to Pre-Paid if you so desire.

The plan you want is no longer for sale to new or recontracting customers. Over the term of your contracted custom (being 24 months) the cost of the increased plan is less. I won't focus on beyond that 24 month contracted custom, as you are no longer "locked" into that price.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Drat
Level 22: Superhuman

Ben0007 wrote:

Or you can buy one outright with your credit card, assuming you have $800 or more credit available within your credit limit. *shrug*

Minimising and/or containing the cost of change – including a change of your handset for everyday use to a new iPhone 5 unit – in exactly the way you want (and/or prefer, and/or envisioned, and/or planned) it is not your entitlement, and nobody is obliged to accommodate you.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Ben0007

Of course. I could change my plan down to something that has tiny data and no included calls then pay massive usage and call fees when I go over. Somehow I don't think that's an option. I'm not going to change how I use my mobile, just to suit telstras new plans. The fact is, this is a very big price hike for the same as what I'm already paying for. I'll be looking at other providers for all my services now, which is a shame considering my wife and I used to be BigPond employees and talked many friends and family into Telstra. I hope the cancellation team aren't to busy today, I think I'll have a chat to them. 

Drat
Level 22: Superhuman

I wish you good luck and good coverage where you choose to take your custom, then. Robot LOL

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Ben_F

Another choice is to consider using the same handsets you have currently acquired on the plan?

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit