jcnchoi
Level 1: Cadet

New plan with old contract

Unfortunately I had my phone (iphone 4s) stolen overseas. I did have insurance (although will have to pay an excess)

I'm currently 1 year into my contract. It's a Freedom Connect $59 plan (with 1.5gb data).

A Telstra store representative advised said that I can pay off the $205 owing on the handset and sign up for a new contract – and receive a new phone (I would probably go for an iPhone 5 (32gb or 64gb)). However, the issue is that the new equivalent plan ($60/mth) only has 1.0gb data. Which is not sufficient for me.

Some of the options I have considered:

1. If I buy the iphone outright, I will have to pay $899 or $999. And continue paying the ~$63 a month on the present contact. This seems like the most expensive option, but it allows me to keep my current contract with the 1.5gb data.

2. Alternatively, I can pay the $205 owing, and then sign up for a $60/mth contract. While this seems like the cheapest option, it Provides less data than I would like (only 1gb).

3. The $80/mth contact is out of my budget– especially since the iphone 5 will bump this up even more.

4. So does paying an extra $15 for a data pack

Are there any other alternatives? Ideally, I would be able to keep the same plan I am on now, and get a new phone, without forking out a lot more.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Drat
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: New plan with old contract

Ideally, I would be able to keep the same plan I am on now, and get a new phone, without forking out a lot more.

Then the only variable is how you get your new phone, e.g. winning one in a competition.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
jcnchoi
Level 1: Cadet

There's no way to re-contract with the previous plan?

Drat
Level 22: Superhuman

No, not when the Freedom Connect Plans have long since been withdrawn by Telstra from the market.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
be12345
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hello,

Purchase a new phone outright and get a replacement SIM card would be your best bet, getting a new phone on a plan means that you signing up to a newer plan.

Hope this helps :-)

TIN_JC
Level 5: Eagle Eye

I recommend upgrading to the new plan Everyday Connect and just add data pack if you need more than 1GB of data allowance. 

You can benefit a lot if you will get a new iPhone 5 with a mobile plan instead of getting it outright. You will be entitled of Mobile Repayment Bonus which is up to $25 a month. Imagine, you will be paying your new handset for just $7 (16GB) or $11 (32GB).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Disclaimer: The opinions stated above are my personal thought only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. My responses are based on the general knowledge and policy of Telecommunication Companies.

be12345
Level 3: Gumshoe

starting a new contract/ plan might be your best bet.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit