Level 2: Rookie

New Telstra SIM Card, Keep Same Telstra Number

Hello,

I broke my phone recently, and bought a new one. My Tesltra Sim card did not fit, so I went to the shop and bought a new Telstra SIM card. I want to keep my old number.

When I activated it, there was an error. Help and Support told me this new SIM already had a number attached to it, which it's not supposed to.

Apparently I can't keep my old number, because I am transferring an old Telstra Number to a new Telstra SIM card. But if I were transferring an old number from a different carrier, I could use this card.

So, why hang around with Telstra if I cannot keep my old number? I can go to the shops now and buy a Vodaphone SIM and keep my number. Why punish me for wanting to stick with Telstra?

Getting no support from the online chat, just want to keep my number. Maybe you should make these things clearer on the packaging, it very clearly says I can keep my own number, not that I have to be coming from a different carrier.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
22 REPLIES 22
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Re: New Telstra SIM Card, Keep Same Telstra Number

Hi benmurphy47,

Every Telstra SIM that is bought from a shop has a number already attached to it.

You should see the number on the back of the package.

If a Telstra customer needs their SIM replaced for any reason they can go to a Telstra store with ID to prove they own the service. 

The Telstra Employee will use a blank SIM and transfer your Account onto it.

This is free of charge and takes less than 5 minutes to do.

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

Except I can’t, I don’t live within 5km of my nearest Telstra store. 

What I don’t understand is that they will wipe the number on the SIM and transfer a number over from a different carrier, but won’t do the same for somebody who is already a Telstra customer. Seems designed to drive away Telstra customers. 

Also there was no number attached to this card anywhere in the packaging or on the card itself.

Level 21: Augmented

Did you get a NEW SIM or a replacement SIM? There is a difference..

If you got as new SIM, with a new number already allocated, you should have been given the new number??

Not sure I understand the bit about not being able to get a new ) replacement) SIM with the old number??

I got new SIM's for two very old numbers (2002 vintage) just a couple of weeks ago - ordered replacement SIMs online, had them 3 days later..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

I bought a new Sim, but there is no phone number listed anywhere. Just a serial number.

The pack says on the back in no uncertain terms “You can keep your own number” but says nothing about it not working for existing Telstra Customers. Live Chat said they could transfer non-Telstra numbers over, but because I already have a Telstra number, they won’t transfer it.

With restrictions, I can’t go to a Telstra Shop, and I doubt I’ll be waiting three days for a replacement SIM, more likely be three weeks.

Sounds to me like that Live Chat person doesn't know their products/services...

Have you tried that SIM in a handset, and called another device to see what number comes up?

Look at this advice..  https://www.telstra.com.au/support/mobiles-devices/activate-sim-post-paid

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..

Gave me the run around for nearly three hours.
I just want to get my old number on to this SIM. If there's a number attached to this card, it wasn't included anywhere on the pack.
I need the phone for work, already been without a phone for far too long.
They say they can transfer a non-Telstra number on to the new SIM, it makes no sense why they can't transfer a Telstra number on to that very same SIM.

From what I can gather talking to the Live Chat, if i want to keep my number, I need to change carriers, because they will only wipe the number on the new SIM for a new customer. It just seems wrong and designed to drive away existing customers.

But did you actually try the SIM in a device, regardless of what they told you? that will show up as either your old number or a completely new one when you call another number..  a new SIM should come all ready to go..  if what you say is true then new service + new SIM = already activated.. (see the web page I sent you.

is this a post paid or prepaid SIM?

lets try another way..  do you have a Telstra Account? either :

- Use the My Telstra app and check if your old service or a new one is listed..

- use a browser and go to  https://www.my.telstra.com.au/myaccount/home and login and check if the old number or a new service is listed..

Stevo 52

I've checked my account, only the old number is listed, the new number is not there. But I haven't gotten that far in the activation process though, it came up with an error message when I tried to port my number, and that's when I wasted three hours on Live Chat.

It's a PrePaid Sim

Have you tried the SIM?

Stevo 52

You tried to activate it here? https://www.telstra.com.au/prepaidactivation/welcome

What was the error message?

Stevo 52

That's where I tried first, the error message just came up with an exclamation point and the usual contact numbers and Live Chat, no details on what the error was.

The SIM is in the phone and connects to the Network okay, but when people text and call me nothing comes up.

And what if you call or text someone?

Stevo 52

I don't have any credit on it, so I assume it wouldn't let me.

Ring a Telstra number like 12722 123 Own number RVA, see if you get your number repeated back to you..

Stevo 52

Called, that number is not available from my service :\

Worked for me, from a post paid. Try any Telstra number and see if you get the calling tone  132200 maybe?

Stevo 52

That one says my Prepaid service is not active.
Seriously how hard is to get a new SIM and keep my number? If I were coming from another provider I'd be done by now.

Can you use the My Telstra app on your device at present? Going into chat and type Complaint might get a response.. 

I'm running out of ideas, and you can't get to a store obviously...  need a Telstra person to step in here..  if you can get to Facebook, try posting on the Telstra page maybe?

Stevo 52

I may have to. I've tried their Facebook hours ago, but I guess I'll have to go through complaints. Thanks for all your help Smiley Happy

The FB page can take a while to get a response, but it will likely be quicker than the Complaints path..  Smiley Happy  they do seem to be more proactive on social media, but they will want to witch to private messaging..

Stevo 52

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit