Paul881
Level 1: Cadet

New type of scam?

The below was given to me by a concerned party and they are asking me to verify. I think it is bogus, but as still asking. Is it possible for someone to call you and if you send a DTMF signal back they can block or hack your phone?

Apologies the pic and the text below are all I have. Thanks.

---

Regarding this screenshot:

Someone (I blanked his name for his privacy) in a private group that I'm in advised the group of the issue (in the screenshot) that he had.

I had no problem believing it, though when I posted it elsewhere as a warning - I copped flack...

So I ran it by my tech guy.

He said it's definitely real.

He advised that if this happens to you:

:right_arrow: Call your provider eg Telstra Optus etc about the incident. They need to know as much as possible about the frequency and character of it to deal with it.

Blocking the number that it came from is not sufficient.

One needs to completely clean the phone before it is too late.

It is “a telephone bot” connected to a less sophisticated AI :left_arrow:

Just so you know.. Governments and private firms do pay hackers to test the resilience of their systems, and of course there's the anti-cyber pandemic exploiters, as well as evil-intent hackers. Be safe

---

PW881

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Paul881
Level 1: Cadet

Re: New type of scam?

They seem for have removed the image after marking the post as spam. Oh well, here it is.

PW881
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: New type of scam?

You can't hack a phone in that manner. All you would be doing is confirming that your number is an active service, and probably incur billing charges from a foreign premium service number (which is quite a common scam).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit