pshezza
Level 2: Rookie

Personal lease plan device return DLC

Answered

My device lease contract (DLC) expires this month, and I am required in the contract to return the phone I have on the old lease plan.

However I can find no details of how to do this in the contract or on the Telstra website. Anyone know how to 'officially' return a device at the end of one of these (old) Telstra contracts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Personal lease plan device return DLC

Yes, you should receive a letter outlining what your end of lease options are (usually in the month leading up to the end of your lease), as well as the instructions for returning the phone.

The backup option is to return it to your nearest Telstra Store (used usually if you are upgrading your phone). If you choose that option (due to the instructions/satchel not arriving), then make sure that you get a document from the store saying that you lodged it with them for return (needs to have the phone's serial number on the document), so that you have proof should the return get lost in the system.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
iPat91
Support Team
Support Team

Hey @pshezza once your lease plan is up, you'll be given two options with your phone. You can return the phone to us or pay out the device fee. You can find your pay out figure through here: https://tel.st/zmn6y

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

pshezza

Hi @iPat91 , thanks for your reply. 

That's not actually a response to the question I asked. I understand I can keep the phone should I wish and pay it out or continue to pay the device lease payments. What I was trying to find out is how to physically return the device at the end of my contract, which is the option I will be going with. 

I actually did contact the Telstra support online chat, and after a frankly excruciating 6 hours I believe I have finally got an answer. A support agent has advised I will automatically be sent a satchel/parcel when my lease contract expires to return the device in.

My feedback to Telstra is this does not appear to be documented anywhere, either online or in the lease contract documents, or any other correspondence I have from Telstra. This process needs to be, this should be, clearly stated on the Telstra website and available to the Telstra customer service agents. It does not seem to be even easily accessible internally at Telstra, as my interactions with the online chat agents suggests. This is partly the reason I have raised a formal complaint with Telstra regarding the 6 hours I spent trying to get an answer to this question as I mentioned above, aside  other concerns I had with my interactions on this matter with the chat agent or agents I conversed with.

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

Yes, you should receive a letter outlining what your end of lease options are (usually in the month leading up to the end of your lease), as well as the instructions for returning the phone.

The backup option is to return it to your nearest Telstra Store (used usually if you are upgrading your phone). If you choose that option (due to the instructions/satchel not arriving), then make sure that you get a document from the store saying that you lodged it with them for return (needs to have the phone's serial number on the document), so that you have proof should the return get lost in the system.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Greg_Buch
Support Team
Support Team

As always, Jupiter is on the ball here 🙂 You can also find further information about the return process at https://tel.st/bnfjm - you'll receive a digital barcode which can be redeemed at a local Post Office for the handset to be returned, or can also take it to a local Telstra Shop at the end of the lease period.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

pshezza

Thanks @Jupiter and @Greg_Buch . I am bemused as to why after repeated attempts in the online chat I was unable to be provided with these details. Thanks for the link and responses.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit