Lee105
Level 1: Cadet

Plan change no notification

Hello everyone,

After advice on a sitution that recently occured.

Situation is pre-existing plan with a device already and via online chat requested an upgrade of the device only without changing the plan. After checking the account it was confirmed eligible to upgrade device. Asked and was clearly told that plan would not change after the upgrade. Turns out plan has been changed without agreement or presenting terms and conditions. Credit check also done without consent. 

Is Telstra allowed to change a plan without consent or by providing consumer with notice?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Plan change no notification

You consented to the credit check when you placed the order (the order won't proceed if the credit check isn't done - that's the rules in telecommunications now, they must check to see if you are capable of servicing a debt).

As far as the plan changing when told it wouldn't be (yes, they need to provide 30 days notice for a Telstra initiated change), you will need to lodge the issue as a formal complaint via https://telstra.com/complaints

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Lee105
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for replying to my post Jupiter. Do you where I can check the rules around credit check such as do they have an obligation before carrying out credit check to let you know?

Jupiter

Check the ACCC and ACMA websites for the information around service providers obligations around ensuring the ability for a customer's ability to pay. It's been in place for a couple of years now. I don't believe that they have an obligation to tell you that they are carrying it out.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit