ianlocke2002
Level 2: Rookie

Plus packs not available on 3G Telstra Pre-Paid Freedom - Nights Bonus plan

Very disappointed when I was forced to change from the old Cap Encore Pre-Paid plan to Freedom (dumb marketing name meant to deceive?) Plan only to discover the Plus Packs that were part of Cap Encore have disappeared.  I now cannot use my Recharge Credit to Purchase a BrowsePlus pack.

Unbelievable.  I contacted Telstra and was told my only option was to add more credit.  But this means I will quickly reach my Recharge Credit limit and will be forced to use the credit at the exhorbitant $2/Mb data rate and then forced to Recharge to get more data.  Come on Telstra this is a rip-off or incompetence.  Which one is it?

Telephone Support said "I'm sorry that its not yet available on the system but we have already raised this to the Management and they're already working on it."

So Plus Packs will be restored sometime soon!  No attempt to assist me in the meantime - just pay more money until we get around to fixing the issue.

I'm not going overseas so the International Roaming Plus Pack (the only one currently available on the Freedom Plan) is useless for me (but highly lucrative to Telstra).

When will Plus Packs be restored?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Kalak
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Plus packs not available on 3G Telstra Pre-Paid Freedom - Nights Bonus plan

When were you forced to change to the new Freedom offer?

They do state on the Plus Packs page - "Not compatible with Telstra Pre-Paid Freedom offer."
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
ianlocke2002

Forced (in the sense) that the Cap Encore Plan has been ruled inappropriate by ACCC (? not sure  which Government policing body) for being misleading marketing to consumers.  I understood the Freedom Plan was a replacement for the Cap Encore Plan.

When I changed (as I understand will all current Cap Encore Plan users have to change) I did not click evey link to ensure the Plus Pack remained "compatible" - what does this mean anyway - NOT COMPATIBLE?

Why was it compatble under the Cap Encore plan and not compatible under the obvious replacement Freedom Plan.  These appear to be weasel words to trick Plan Encore users into a vastly less attractive Freedom Plan.

Kalak

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. I personally know a number of people happily on Cap Encore and none have received any notification that they must change.

Also, I'm unable to find this determination you reference where Cap Encore was labelled as misleading and Telstra was forced to discontinue the offer.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
ianlocke2002

Last week when I attempted to purchase a BrowsePlusPack using my phone under the Cap Encore offer there was only an Intr Roaming Browse Plus Pack listed.  No other Plus Packs were listed.  Mistakenly I changed my offer and now I no longer have access to any Plus Packs other than Itnl Roaming. 

Lets not get bogged down in the details but the Cap Encore Plans are now grandfathered  (http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/telstraprepaid).  Lets agree to disagree on the reason for the change.

My concern is the Freedom Plan which is the replacement for the Cap Encore Plan is nowhere near being equivalent and sneakily/quietly/call it what you like drops the BrowsePlus pack.

Please bring back the BrowsePlus packs in the Freedom Plan asap and in the interim enable a long standing customer (ie me) to have the same options that were available in Cap Encore under the new Freedom plan.

What can you do to assist?

Kalak

Ok. So we've established that you weren't in-fact forced to change plans at all. It was a change you initiated, mistakenly by the sounds of things.

You are correct that it has been grandfathered, but I doubt it's for the reasons you claimed. Much like the new prepaid mobile broadband offer, it's likely to reduce the value. Simple as that really. People had wonderful systems to 'game' the old Encore and MBB offers which no longer work on both plans.

Telstra have said that they are planning on offering additional data pack options for the new Freedom plan in the future, but at this stage haven't released the details.

It also looks as though they closed the Facebook App plan change hole that existed for a while which prevents people changing around to get on the old Encore offer.

I honestly doubt that they would make an exception to the rules such as this for a single customer, but it doesn't hurt to call them or jump on Live Chat and explain the situation and ask if they'll change you back to Encore.

It should also be noted that I personally can't assist as this is an open forum and I'm simply another user/customer just like you. I'm just a regular and wanted to clarify things because I hadn't heard of people being forced off this plan.

ianlocke2002

Looks like this is just a public chat between you and me on a subject Telstra doesn't give a stuff about.

I tried the Chat 24x7 people but they can/will not revert.  And going back isn't an option as the reason I changed in the first place was BrowsePlus Packs were missing when I tried to purchase one.

Last time Telstra changed the Pre-Paid plans (12-18 months ago?) they reduced the data allowance (halved?).

With each change the Plan gets worse and both times there was no notification given to existing customers.

One advantage of the new Plan is I will have to revisit the market place to see what the current offers from Optus, Vodafone, etc are like.

Paul1970
Level 1: Cadet

My friend Telstra has dissabled my hotspot service on newer model phones in an effort to force me over to the "Fredom Plan" that alows me a fraction of the data for the same price.. Very nice tactics indeed.
I will just use other work arounds to counter there tactics of removing services without notice.
Thanks Telstra
ianlocke2002

It's disappointing when we {the customer) feel we have to resort to "tactics" to circumvent unannounced service changes.  As mentioned in an earlier post the service changes are always a downgrade. Very frustrating. 

Telstra doesn't have any problem sending texts to warn when data or calls credit is low but for some reason cannot announce Plan changes!!!!

I have switched to Optus for data using an unlocked Telstra MF60 modem ($130 for 15gb compared to Telstra $180 for 12gb, to be used in 365 days).  Switched to Beyond Talk plan where browse plus packs are still available. Bought a hello mobile Sim for international calls.

Will investigate dual Sim mobile for more plan flexibility.

votdafuq

Well it turns out I was a little 'misinformed' when I signed up for my Freedom prepaid a week ago.

I explained quite clearly I don't make a lot of calls, and that I was heavy on data. Salesperson said - no problem, just get the $50 prepaid plan and you can add the data when you run out. 

I have exactly the same options as the option for recharge. International Roaming. Which is useless to me.

Sounds to me the rep was playing by the old rules. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

DingoDan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey votdafung,

Welcome to Crowd Support Smiley Happy

I am sorry that you have received the incorrect information on the data packs being available with this pre-paid Freedom service and this is clearly listed on the website:

http://goo.gl/J03cLe

One of the benefits with this service is that your data usage would come out of the Freedom credit you receive with the recharge and then also the recharge credit once this has been used up. This will allow you to have much more usage than normal with the recharge that has been completed. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

ianlocke2002

Hi DingoDan

I have to agree with votdafung when (s)he suggests the sales person was selling the old Cap Encore plan features.  The Cap Encore Plans had all PlusPacks available.  The new Freedom Plans (equivalent to Cap Encore dscontinued plan)  dropped most PlusPacks (Int Roaming PlusPack is useless, better value is replace SIM with local offering while outside Australia).  To say this is clearly set-out on the website is disingenuous by Telstra.  This is a MAJOR plan change and should have been highlighted with warnings and alarms all over the place.

Another quiet but significant change is the time period to use the recharge has been reduced from 30 to 28 days for the Freedom Plans (the Cap Encore plans were 30 days).

Regarding your statement  "... your data usage would come out of the Freedom credit ...".   This does not appear to be correct.  Once you use up any Bonus Data you are charged $2 per MB from your Recharge Credit  (ouch).  You can not use your Freedom Credit - this is reserved for calls and texts only (accourding to the critical information summary document).

On the Cap Encore Plan I recharged $50 for 30 days and got 800Mb bonus data, $950 bonus calls plus $50 added to my recharge credit.  Once my bonus data was used up I could then buy a $49 BrowsePlusPack (for 3GB of data).

The new Freedom Plans are a very poor replacement - hence my move to Beyound Talk plan where BrowsePlusPacks are still available.  I use Hello Mobile for International calls (10c/minute) and Optus 3G on unlocked Telstra MF60 dongle for data ($135 for 15GB usage 365 days compared to Telstra $180 for 12GB usage 365 days - Optus is much cheaper).

Kalak

Just a quick note, if you setup auto recharge you get a full month from each Freedom recharge, rather than 28 days. So it means one less recharge every year (12 vs 13).

Leeami

Ridiculous. No where has the ACCC deemed the Encore 'inappropriate'! That's just ludicrous. It's grandfathered, that's it. Plans are regularly updated and the previous ones grandfathered. You do not have to switch to the freedom if you don't want to as others have stated. There is no 'force' there. Even if you were not able to stay on a particular plan, no one 'forces' anyone to go onto a plan they don't like.
Your choice to switch ...should have stayed on the Encore or switched providers if it's so terrible. Sheesh

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit