Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Porting mobile number from Optus to Telstra nightmare

I'm writing this post as I just don't know what to do anymore. I won't even bore you with the 2 weeks of Telstra phone attendants failing to call back and multiple trips into the Telstra shop, just to open my account with Telstra.

I am merely opening an account with Telstra, and porting my number from Optus over to Telstra to go on a Telstra BYO Phone Post-paid plan... You would think standard procedure. What has unravelled is a cyclone of failure on behalf of Telstra customer service.

My initial issue was my iMessage on my iPhone 5s would not activate. After being told many times by Telstra this is an Apple issue, and Apple telling me this is a Network issue, I discovered that several friends are unable to call or text me. They can receive my calls and texts however when they try to call back they get a busy tone, and I do not receive their texts. The 2 main carriers I'm having these issues with are Vodafone & TPG. A friend on Optus can call and text me fine. Also friends on Telstra seem to work also.

It's been 7 days of extremely frustrating head scratching on the part of Telstra. Literally 30 phone calls to Mobile Faults, repeating INT #s to a new confused call centre operator, Network Resets, Phone resets, swapped SIM card at a Telstra store, and dealings with both Telstra Portability Department and Optus. After finally getting some solid advise from someone in a Telstra shop that it is a Portability issue, according to Telstra Portability the number has been ported over fine. This is the same for Optus; the number is no longer with them. I have been going around in this loop for 4 days now. Obviously it hasn't ported over fine, otherwise all carriers would be able to contact me, and my iMessage would be activated..

I finally crack it and my case is escalated to the Network team, this should have perhaps been done initially?.. The lady in the Network team calls me back and reports she has merely checked what I have already checked many times over with the Portability team, and states the number has ported over correctly! By this stage I am seething. She opens a ticket with the portability department TT 1-802122434552 , I'm not holding my breath for them to reply..

I've since researched online and there are literally hundreds of cases of these types of issues when porting your number to Telstra. I can't even fathom why it took so long for me to even get pointed in the direction of the Portability team. By all reports online you should be able to ring Mobile Faults once, they recognise the problem, they escalate a ticket with the Portability team, whom get in contact with your previous carrier to properly flush the number entirely from their system.

I understand that systems aren't perfect, errors occur. Even human. But I'm bewildered as to how no one in Telstra mobile faults team is aware of this issue, and couldn't give me the information I need. Instead send me through a series unnecessary loops, before I simply Google the question and find the process within 5 seconds. I wasted a week on the phone, I run a business and I'm unsure who has tried to contact me, I'm still unsure as to whether this issue will be fixed, and all I keep thinking about is switching back to Optus as the Customer Service with Telstra so far has been appalling. Having said that, there has been 1 or 2 operators whom have gone above and beyond to help me solve this issue, but they still don't know how to fix it. Telstra, educate your staff. Customers should not have to be determining how to resolve their own issues when calling the mobile faults department.

The purpose of this post is to vent some of my frustration, hope to improve Telstra's mobile faults department (so this doesn't happen to someone else) and try to incite some help from someone here online, whom might be able to fix this problem, today ideally.

Thanks.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Porting mobile number from Optus to Telstra nightmare

Hey @NickyWhite,

Thanks for the feedback about your experience. I apologise that it got to the point where you felt that frustrations needed to be vented.

The issue you are describing sounds like a classic Porting fault, and regrettably, Telstra is not the only service provider prone to these issues.

I have checked the reference number you have advised of and found that we were able to replicate the fault on our test services.
Subsequently, a fault has been sent to Vodafone to correct their porting data. (something that all carriers have that direct their individual networks on where to deliver or direct calls and SMS,ect, to)

I can tell you that you will be notified once we hear back from Vodafone regarding this problem.

You can always follow up with the Mobile Assurance Teams at any time on 125111 or via Live Chat

Let me know if you have any questions, or get back to me via Private Message. I'll be happy to follow this up for you at any time.

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Thank you Matt @DeltaSquad I really appreciate you taking the time to investigate and respond. I feel we're finally getting close to a resolution. However I'm still confused as to why iMessage will not activate? Is this some porting issue with Apple? Also my sister is with TPG and she is unable to call/text me, I believe TPG use the Optus network, however a friend directly with Optus is able to call/text me. Do TPG need to be notified directly also?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

It's my pleasure to look into this for you @NickyWhite.

TPG don't need to be notified. Because they wholesale through a parent company, only the parent company where an issue is identified needs to be notified. Once the issue is resolved, the new information is cascaded to all carriers automatically.

The problem with porting faults when one is identified, is that they can be quite complex.

The iMessage activation issue might be related.

What happens there is that your mobile phone actually sends an SMS to an Apple Server to request the activation. A reply is sent back to your phone with the details of the activation.

All of this happens in the background and is automatically identified by your handset.

Because of this porting issue, I would imagine that the reply message is not getting back to your phone, causing the activation to fail.

It's usually easier to deal with one issue at a time, the primary identified issue being a port failure (at the moment at least)
I'd suggest waiting for that to be corrected first. You'll likely find that everything else will fall into place after that.

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Thank you Matt @DeltaSquad as you suggested once the porting issue was resloved , so was the iMessage error.

All is well. Appreciate your efforts.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit