Wagglyman
Level 1: Cadet

Pre-payment on post paid plans

Answered

Hi Telstra Crowd Support,

I have a question regarding post-paid plans. I've been off contract for some time, but still making monthly payments.

Today I spent a significant amount of time on the 24/7 chat negotiating a new phone plan, and reached a deal I was happy with. 

At the end of the negotiation, I was then advised that I would need to pay my new plan a month in advance. I was advised that I would be refunded the up-front payment on the "Final Bill". After a few attempts at explanation by the consultant, I was eventually advised that the "Final Bill" was when I ported my number to another carrier, or closed the account. It seems that this also applied to the current "month in advance" associated with my current plan. Given that I have other services on the account, and hence do not close the account, by this rationale, every time I change phones - ie every two years, I will pay a month in advance, but this will not be returned until I change carriers / disconnect. So it seems that every two years, I will pay for 25 months, not 24, and not get it back until I change carriers. This seems to be supported by the fact that when the consulted provided me a bill forecast for the new plan, the credit from my being a month in advance on the old plan was no where to be seen. This is a bit strange, and the chat consultant could not explain the apparent anomaly, nor explain when I would receive the credit, other than "at the final bill". 

The chat consultant advised me to contact Telstra's credit department, as she could not provide an explanation. A non-telstra e-mail address was provided as follows: ccmanagement.au@​buongiorno.com Is this e-mail address legitimate? It seems strange to be going outside of Telstra's domain to have a credit query regarding my account answered.

Hopefully someone can provide a response to the above - both in terms of the how the month in advance works and when the credit is actually provided, and as to whether or not the above e-mail address is legitimate!

Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Pre-payment on post paid plans

The email address is legitimate, but only if you were querying third party charges on your bill from that party.

They certainly shouldn't have given your address for anything you mentioned in your post.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Wagglyman

I've just done some googling through crowd support, and it seems like the buongiorno.com domain is associated with a scam known as the "GamiFive / buongiorno" scam? Why is a Telstra consultant telling me to send my account details to a domain name that is associated with a known scam????

Jupiter

You always pay for your post paid mobile service in advance (the name is a bit of a misnomer - it's to do with excess charges being post paid). When you change plans mid-month, you get a prorata credit of the unused portion of the current month, then get charged the prorata for the new plan for the current month. You also get charged for the first full month.

When they tell you that you will be refunded the payment on your "Final Bill", this is actually ** and they should be sacked as this is not what happens. Unless you have paid your bill, and then before the start of the next billing period you cancel the service, then there is nothing to refund, except the prorata charge for the last month.  You are only paying for the time that you hold your service, there is no "extra month" that gets added every time you take out a new plan.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Wagglyman

Thanks for the reply. That makes more sense, and is quite different to what the consultant explained!

Don't suppose you can shed any light on the e-mail address that was provided?

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

The email address is legitimate, but only if you were querying third party charges on your bill from that party.

They certainly shouldn't have given your address for anything you mentioned in your post.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit