Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

SMS overcharging

I have 2 mobile services on my account (both iphones) and i am finding that for the last few months many of the SMSs sent are being charged many times over for the one text sent. Telstra provided me with a credit last month for this overcharging but only as a courtesy as they didnt believe that this overcharging is actually happening. Is any one else having a problem with SMS overcharging or is there some technical issue here?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: SMS overcharging

If your text message is more than 160 standard (text) characters, you get charged for each block of 160 characters (or part thereof). Emojis and other special characters count as multiple characters. If you have read receipt turned on, you would be charged 5 cents for each message as well.

In saying that, there are very few plans that charge for SMSs anymore. The only plans that I can think of that currently charge for SMS are the Long Life Prepaid plans.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Re: SMS overcharging

Thanks for the 160 standard text characters comment - I think it will apply in some of double counting so I will have to go back and check old SMSs . I have an old Telstra staff plan that everyone tells me I would be crazy to give up so I'm charged for all SMSs - c'est la vie.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit