Muffle
Level 1: Cadet

Someone Is Using My Number As Their Caller ID

Over the course of the last three or so months I have received numerous phone calls from different people calling to return a missed call from my number.

The issue is, I haven't called any of these people. I even checked my phone's call history to be certain.

Is it possible for someone to use my phone number as their caller id? 

I have had this same phone number for several years and this has never happened before now.

How do I fix/stop this?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Someone Is Using My Number As Their Caller ID

Yes, that happens fairly regularly. It is easy to spoof a caller id.

No, there is nothing that you can do to stop it. The spammers will move on to using another number within a couple of weeks.

If you get a large number of calls, change your voicemail to explain the situation and let calls from numbers that you are not familiar with go to voicemail.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

You may consider reporting it to to A.C.M.A.   https://www.acma.gov.au/      but they are pretty powerless to do anything to actually stop it.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
gcnicho
Level 2: Rookie

I've just had the same thing happen to me. Someone sent me a copy of the voicemail that my phone number left them and it was actually stating how their service would be disconnected if they don't sign up to NBN.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit