hiker1
Level 1: Cadet

Switching from Post-paid to prepaid and keeping phone number

Answered

Hi,

I am out of contract on a post-paid plan, and would like to take advantage of the current $15 for $30 prepaid sim-card with 25GB bonus data on first three recharges. This offer is marked as online only (https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/offers-and-rates), but I was told that if I want to keep my number, I would need to go to a store, i.e. I would not get the online-only special.

1) What do I need to do to switch to a pre-paid plan, keep my number and use the online-only special?

2) Can I keep my (current, post-paid) SIM card, or do I need to wait for a new sim card to be posted?

3) If after the three months I should have some bonus data and switch to a $300 for 150GB/year plan, would I still have access to that bonus data that I might have accumulated?

Thanks!
   Hiker

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Smiley3
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Switching from Post-paid to prepaid and keeping phone number

Hi hiker1,

1) If you want to keep your number you won’t be able to get the online special price of $15. The SIM comes with a new mobile phone number. This offer is mainly to entice people who are with another Telco to move to Telstra...or for Telstra customer's who want to have another mobile service with a new mobile number. 

2) The quickest way to change from Post Paid to Pre-Paid and keep using your current mobile phone number and SIM card is to visit a Telstra store. They'll be able to change you from Post Paid to Pre-Paid in-store.

If you can't get to a Telstra store you could try ringing 132200 for them to change you from Post Paid to Pre-Paid over the phone. I changed from Post Paid to Pre-Paid year's ago. I did it over the phone because at the time my closest Telstra store was 150km away. I kept using the same SIM. 

3) After the first 3 recharge's of receiving the Bonus Data, if you recharge $300/ 150GB or $150/ 60GB you will forfeit any unused Data. 

Unfortunately, on the latest Telstra Pre-Paid Mobile plan you need to recharge $10- $60 to keep rolling over unused Data (up to 200GB).

The $300 and $150 recharge's aren't an eligible recharge for Continuous Rollover. 

Under "Things you need to know" in the below link you'll see this wording: Telstra Pre-Paid Mobile:Roll over and access unused data when you recharge $10-$60 before expiry. Your unused data will expire if you don’t recharge on eligible recharges before expiry. 

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/offers-and-rates

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Smiley3
Accepted Solution

Re: Switching from Post-paid to prepaid and keeping phone number

Hi hiker1,

1) If you want to keep your number you won’t be able to get the online special price of $15. The SIM comes with a new mobile phone number. This offer is mainly to entice people who are with another Telco to move to Telstra...or for Telstra customer's who want to have another mobile service with a new mobile number. 

2) The quickest way to change from Post Paid to Pre-Paid and keep using your current mobile phone number and SIM card is to visit a Telstra store. They'll be able to change you from Post Paid to Pre-Paid in-store.

If you can't get to a Telstra store you could try ringing 132200 for them to change you from Post Paid to Pre-Paid over the phone. I changed from Post Paid to Pre-Paid year's ago. I did it over the phone because at the time my closest Telstra store was 150km away. I kept using the same SIM. 

3) After the first 3 recharge's of receiving the Bonus Data, if you recharge $300/ 150GB or $150/ 60GB you will forfeit any unused Data. 

Unfortunately, on the latest Telstra Pre-Paid Mobile plan you need to recharge $10- $60 to keep rolling over unused Data (up to 200GB).

The $300 and $150 recharge's aren't an eligible recharge for Continuous Rollover. 

Under "Things you need to know" in the below link you'll see this wording: Telstra Pre-Paid Mobile:Roll over and access unused data when you recharge $10-$60 before expiry. Your unused data will expire if you don’t recharge on eligible recharges before expiry. 

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/offers-and-rates

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit