Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Text Buddy Contact already exists

just got registered with the buddy online sms. every time i go to add a contact it tells me that I cant as that contact already exists?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted

Re: Text Buddy Contact already exists

Hi Steve, I had the same problem a few hours ago. Just went back into Text Buddy to try adding contacts again and it seems to be working fine now....

Highlighted

Hi.  Did you get success on this point?  I loaded it to 2 x PCs yesterday.  One works fine with adding contacts, but the other comes up with the contact already exists message.  I waited overnight, but still no success today.  It seems to point to a settings thing in the affected PC, but I can't pinpoint where.  Ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Highlighted

I have been having the same problem for seveal weeks now. I use it as a way of activating our emergency services group.  I have tried re loading the program and sending an email to text buddy support (which bounced back and was not delivered) and am unable to get it to add the new peoples info, not all are telstra numbers however that has not been an issue in the past.  

Any solutions would be great

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi all, if you get in touch with the team on 13 22 00 they can lodge a ticket for further investigation and support from the Text Buddy development team. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

We to are having the same problem. The same thing occurs on three separate installs, I have installed and reinstalled the application without success. When installed the list of contacts is not deleted as all the contacts are still there after re-install. The problem appears to have become apparent after one of the monthly updates from Microsoft.

Is there likely to be a "fix" from Telstra or should we look for one of their other applications? It's a shame as Text Buddy was simple and did the job required where the alternatives look very complex for what we are looking for to be used by non tech savvy users.

Thanks

Highlighted

NOt sure what happened but after coming back to it a few days later it works.

no settings change. no call from telstra. if it still occurs, i would suggest calling telstra and posting a service request as suggested in one of the posts. good luck.

Highlighted

Is anyone still having issues with this. Seems to be very hit and miss, works one day and not the next.

I install on 4 machines, 4 different registered numbers, on Thursday all was working fine, Staff went to add contacts on Saturday and they got the "already exists" error.

I am guessing that the contacts are stored on a Telstra server as they follow the phone number login from machine to machine.

So is this a Telstra server/access issue or is it a local firewall issue?

I know you need to be a local Admin to install and run the software.

Any help would be appreciated. I did log a call with Telstra a number of weeks ago, But only made it to 1st level support. :-(

Thanks, Tim

Highlighted

I have had the same issue for weeks on 2 seperate computers with 2 seperate registered mobile numbers. Seems that it maybe a text buddy problem not just me or you if multiple people are having it. I honestly don't have the time to ring 132200 and be transfered around the world, I was looking for some online support, they used to have it where you could contact someone on the computer like a communicator help system, now I am referred to Crowd support. Does that mean someone from T answers these issues logged like this?

Highlighted

Just had the same thing then i went to options and un ticked the box that says use windows settings under Communication tab  and Vola i can add contacts hope this helps.

tools--->options--->Communication tab---> Internet options---> untick Use Windows Settings

Please Kudos if this helped you thanks.!!!

Highlighted

I had this problem for months until I totally deleted and re entered all contacts.

Now can add as I please.

Good luck as is a great tool.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey All,

Could everyone please confirm if GLC's suggstion here worked for you at all? Thank you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

I'm scared to try. What if I delete them all and then can't add a user again?

Highlighted

I realise that TB is no longer supported by Telstra, but there's obviously a glitch with the application that multiple people have experienced and renders the program practically useless. That problem is that new contacts can not be addedd to the address book. The only suggestion so far that anyone has indicated that worked for them is to delete ALL contacts and re-add them. Without knowing for SURE that this will work, you don't have to be Einstein to see the risk in this solution. And so far the only help from Telstra has been to ask other people if this method has worked for them.

This leaves me with 2 options (apart from ditching TB for something else):

1. Try the method and hope to god that it works

2. Do nothing

Option 2 is wearing thin, so without any further input into this thread it looks like I'll be going for Option 1, then if it doesn't work taking option 3, which is ditching TB (and Telstra) for something else.

Chow

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

well if you find something better please let us know....

currently this is the only thing I know of...

ciao

Highlighted

did not work for me on win7 even after restarting the app. maybe after rebooting the system....
Highlighted

Still not working.... computer been rebooted numerous times since last post....

Highlighted

When I try tpo enter a new address and phone number in Telstra buddy it tells me that the entry already exists

Berwyn

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Berwyn, 

If you need a hand, our mobile assurance team will be the best point of call

Apologies for any inconvenience or confusion 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Highlighted

Could not add names to my Address Book.

Issue has been bugging me now for some years on my home PC.

Followed the suggestion to just un-tick box "Use Windows Setting" in  Tools>Settings>Communications and the problem has disappeared !!!!!

Thank You,

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

I have had the contacts problem for a while and figure others may also be still struggling.

My issue is that some time ago Telstra Online Text Buddy stopped accepting my new contacts and replied with "Entry cannot be added as it already exists".

Each time I visited this (and other) threads there were still no solutions that worked for me. Each time I just decided to continue to use Telstra Online Text Buddy manually by puting the called numbers in the Enter Recipients field for each SMS message I wanted to send.  It stil worked well this way.

Today I visited it again as I wanted to add some numbers that I needed to frequently SMS without having to add them manually to each individual SMS message.

I decided to uninstall Telstra Online Text Buddy and reinstall it from the original install file that I found in an old archive downloads folder on my PC.

As it happened, I forgot to uninstall Telstra Online Text Buddy before I ran the install executable. I was still logged in to Telstra Online Text Buddy when I started to run the installer.

The Telstra Online Text Buddy installer found that a current version of Telstra Online Text Buddy was still loaded on my PC and asked whether I wanted to repair it or not. There was another option to install it.

Long story short, I went for the repair option which only took about a minute to do it's thing and, low and behold, the contacts routine started saving new contacts again.  I have been in and out a few times since and it has allowed me to add more and more each time..

So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is a possible solution.

By the way, the repair process did not wipe out the existing contacts so that was another good reason not to reinstall from the start

Highlighted

Doesn't work for me, today. 

Nor does anything else. Anyone got any better ideas?

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi abrogard

I'd recommend calling our Mobile Assurance team for support with this

They're available over the phone on 13 22 00, and will be more than happy to assist you with the Text Buddy service. 

Highlighted

Too All Telstra Text Buddy Users: I have found out the Problem you amybe having - You may have too many contacts on your Text Buddy List and you may need to remove of them old ones that you never contact No more.. I had Removed and Re-installed Testra Buddy and any hidden Files like coookies and alike of any tracies and now it seems to be working Fine. Im Running WIn10 right now so I hopew this has been a help.. Im still learning about the program as simple it maybe - Its still good Texting Software and I hope Telstra dont give up on upgrades. From a Telstra Customor 20 yrs.  I hope you got this sorted-out and Hope that I have been in some help to you all that uses Telstra Text Buddy: Its Awesome Smiley Happy  Regards Mr Wayne Winter (Au) 2680 Smiley Happy

Highlighted

YES - A Quick Clean-up of your computer - That does work/help  with Telstra Text Buddy. And while Im at it - Remove old contacts as may Only allow like 50 contacts at any-time - Not proven as yet. Wish you all the best Folks.  Wayne Winter (NSW) 2680 "Telstra Customur"

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit