Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Text messages

Answered

I have a rellie travelling in the U.S.  They like to keep me informed of their whereabouts, for safety reasons.

Problem is - no texts are getting through to me from the U.S. or mine to U.S.

The last text was to advise they had arrived in U.S.

The same thing happened last year when they were in the U.K.  When they arrived home, all the previously sent texts, came through together - too late if there had been an emergency!!

It's as if the phone knows they are now out of the country and shuts down until they are home again.

They use a new smart phone.  When they had a mobile that only made calls and texts (like mine) there wasn't a problem.  They also had a different carrier.

Since they switched phones and are now with Telstra and I think the smart phone could be a Samsung, we are having these problems.

After all that, my question is, can anyone tell me why this might be happening?

Should something have been done before they went overseas?  They don't want to make calls, just send texts.

Can anything be done now, to rectify the problem, so emails can be exchanged for the rest of their holiday?

Hope someone can please help asap.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Text messages

Thanks for your reply.  I found out that international roaming is supposed to be enabled, so I don't know why texts are not getting through.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Is international roaming been enabled?
Can you at least call the phone to see if its working?
Depending the operating frequency abroad it is possible that there simply no service?

If there was an emergency I assume one would call the appropriate number from there itinerary or vice versa without all the all the associated drama.

I'm not sure there is anything you could possibly do on behalf of your relative considering you can't access there account details, unless of course you have been authorized?

A simple drama free solution would be for them to grab a local prepaid phone?

Good luck on your endeavors.

Cheers,
Dave

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Thanks for your reply.  I found out that international roaming is supposed to be enabled, so I don't know why texts are not getting through.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

iphone 6 gets incoming text messages but does not send

New subscriber and SMS messages arrive to my phone just fine, but even replying to an incoming one fails. The progress bar moves most of the way over then stops. Most recent IOS.. pay by day subscription.

I've:

1. restarted the phone

2. checked the phone settings to make sure it has the number

3. checked the message settings, it also shows the number.
Thanks

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit