poidab
Level 1: Cadet

Unlocking old phone to use overseas

Answered

Hi,

I upgraded from my Nokia 6120 a while back but have recently moved to China and want to use the phone with a chinese sim card BUT the phone appears to be still locked to telstra. When i signed up 4 years ago the post paid phone came on a two year contract locked to telstra.....

According to some telstra online advice, to get the phone unlocked from telstra apparently I need to type #60# into the phone to get some number to give to telstra so they can unlock it, however, i'm already in china and this #60# request fails on the network.

is there another solution to get my phone unlocked while in CHina?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kalak
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Unlocking old phone to use overseas

Generally speaking to get the unlock code you require the IMEI number for the handset.

This can be done by typing *#60# (notice the * at the start), which will cause it to display on the screen, or it's generally on the sticker located under the battery.

Armed with this number, you'll be able to get your unlock code and away you go.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Kalak
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Generally speaking to get the unlock code you require the IMEI number for the handset.

This can be done by typing *#60# (notice the * at the start), which will cause it to display on the screen, or it's generally on the sticker located under the battery.

Armed with this number, you'll be able to get your unlock code and away you go.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

View solution in original post

jokiin
Level 21: Augmented

actually I think you want *#06#
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Liddy

type in star hash 60 hash and then what?

Matt_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi poidab,

If the handset is locked to our network you'll need to contact our network unlocking team.

More information can be found here: https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Pre-Paid-Mobiles-KB/How-to-unlock-your-Pre-Paid-Mobile/ta-p/6...

-Matt W

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Helsy

I have an LG phone which is now fully paid and has been replaced.

how do I unlock it to pass on to my grandson?

DeltaSquad
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Helsy,

The link provided above is still the way to do this.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Pre-Paid-Mobiles-KB/How-to-unlock-your-Pre-Paid-Mobile/ta-p/6...

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit