IOA0007
Level 1: Cadet

Upgrading Mobile Phone during Plan

Hello,

I currently own an iPhone 4S on a $70 plan (approximate) an have been on this plan since the realease last October, and with the new iPhone 5 coming out I want to upgrade. Is there a way I can upgrade the mobile phone without having to pay off the rest of the iPhone 4S - for instance pay a bit more per month and give in the old phone. I do not mind getting rid of my old iPhone I just want the iPhone 5 and I don't want to have to pay off the phone.

Kind Regards,

Dylan Booth

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Christos
Level 18: Intelligence Chief

Re: Upgrading Mobile Phone during Plan

Hi Dylan

You will need to pay an early termination charge (ETC) for cancelling your plan before the 24 months. You can pay it off month by month until the end of your contract or you can pay it in  a lump sum

To get an estimate of your early termination charge I suggest calling 1800 303 302 

Handing in your Iphone 4s wont lower the ETC so I suggest trying to sell it and put the profits towards towards paying the ETC

-C

If you've found a  then don't forget to mark that post accordingly

Kudos  Recognise someone for their help by clicking this button on their post

Stick around great things are happening in Moderator

Drat
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Upgrading Mobile Phone during Plan

IOA0007 wrote:

Is there a way I can upgrade the mobile phone without having to pay off the rest of the iPhone 4S - for instance pay a bit more per month and give in the old phone. I do not mind getting rid of my old iPhone I just want the iPhone 5 and I don't want to have to pay off the phone.

No – Telstra neither offers trade-in of used handsets nor deals in secondhand consumer goods. Your best bet would be to organise a private sale of your iPhone 4S (which would have fetched a better price before the iPhone 5 was officially announced, of course), get whatever you can for it, and use the proceeds to pay off your Mobile Repayment Option (MRO) debt and if there are any funds left over, contribute towards the cost of a new iPhone 5 handset.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit