Cindy-Lee
Level 1: Cadet

Upgrading???

My husband and I are both currently in contracts with Telstra, although recently mine was transferred to him as we bundled everything..... My question is, can we upgrhand handsets whilst still currently being on contracts..... We both have the $59 cap plan, but I would like to upgrade just my handset to an iPhone 5!?!?!?...  Can someone please tell me if this is possible and the steps to do so.... thankyou 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Drat
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Upgrading???

We both have the $59 cap plan, but I would like to upgrade just my handset to an iPhone 5!?!?!?...  Can someone please tell me if this is possible and the steps to do so.... thankyou 

It depends on what you mean by “upgrading”.

You can certainly go buy an iPhone 5 handset outright, and ask Telstra to replace the SIM you're using in your current handset to a nano-SIM (free of charge), so that you can use the contracted mobile service in your new handset. That, to me, certainly satisfies the high-level brief of “upgrade just [your] handset”, but it may not give you the financial outcome you want.

If you want to acquire a new iPhone 5 handset by Mobile Repayment Option (MRO), and use your post-paid plan to subsidise the acquisition cost and pay off the rest in monthly instalments, then what you can do will depend on which plan you're on currently. Generally speaking, if you continue on the same committed level of minimum monthly spend on the post-paid mobile service, and are prepared to sign up for a fresh 24-month contract term, you should be able to get the early termination charge (ETC) for your current contract (that would otherwise apply) waived; however, you'll need to pay off the balance owed to Telstra from your previous MRO, without the benefit of it being offset by further lots of monthly MRO Bonus credit.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit