rexamillian
Level 1: Cadet

What happens after the plan term has been completed?

I'm currently with Optus, but was thinking about bringing my handset (already paid in full) over to a Telstra Every Day Connect BYO plan, and just have a few questions in regards to the plan terms.

1. There's option for either a 12 or 24 month plan term (the minimum cost on both is simply the $/ month x # of months), but no mention as to what benefits one has over the other.

So, for example, if I were to choose the 12 month plan, what happens in the 13th month?

Do the monthly charges and benefits change?

Will I be disconnected, in which case, I'd need to sign up for a new 12 or 24 month plan?

Will I just continue to receive the same uninterupted service, at the same price, with the same benefits, except with the advantage of not having to pay an early termination fee if I were to change to a different plan (hence, my original confusion, why would somebody choose a 24 month plan over a 12 month plan)?

2. At one stage, within the plan term, I will probably need to upgrade my mobile phone, but I'm not sure as to how that will affect my plan.

So, for example, If I purchased a new mobile phone (outside of Telstra) and swapped it for my current mobile phone, will Telstra charge me an early termination fee, then require me to start a new BYO plan (considering that a new mobile phone might require a different sized SIM)?

If I wanted Telstra to finance my new mobile phone (so I'd essentially be changing from a Telstra Every Day Connect BYO plan, to a Telstra Every Day Connect plan w/ handset) would I be charged a cancellation fee on the BYO?

Any help would be appreciated, before I make the big leap into the big pond.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
TonyM
Level 8: Inspector

Re: What happens after the plan term has been completed?

Just forget it, that would all be sooooo hard for Telstra, you';d be 12 months down the track before they could catch up with you. Then again you I'M  SURE KNOW ALL THE ANSWERS ALREADY!!!!!!!!

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Re: What happens after the plan term has been completed?

rexamillian wrote: 

1. There's option for either a 12 or 24 month plan term (the minimum cost on both is simply the $/ month x # of months), but no mention as to what benefits one has over the other.

So, for example, if I were to choose the 12 month plan, what happens in the 13th month?

Do the monthly charges and benefits change?

Will I be disconnected, in which case, I'd need to sign up for a new 12 or 24 month plan?

Will I just continue to receive the same uninterupted service, at the same price, with the same benefits, except with the advantage of not having to pay an early termination fee if I were to change to a different plan (hence, my original confusion, why would somebody choose a 24 month plan over a 12 month plan)?

I'll try and answer your questions as best I can, ignoring the obvious troll from another user in here:

There is no difference between a 12 and 24 month contract, with the exception of the length of the contract.

On the 13th month of a 12 month contract, you become a "Casual" customer. This means that Telstra may, but is not required to, change the terms and conditions of your plan with 30 days notice.

As far as I know, your plan remains the same until you change it or Telstra changes it after the end of the contract term.

rexamillian wrote: 

2. At one stage, within the plan term, I will probably need to upgrade my mobile phone, but I'm not sure as to how that will affect my plan.

So, for example, If I purchased a new mobile phone (outside of Telstra) and swapped it for my current mobile phone, will Telstra charge me an early termination fee, then require me to start a new BYO plan (considering that a new mobile phone might require a different sized SIM)?

If I wanted Telstra to finance my new mobile phone (so I'd essentially be changing from a Telstra Every Day Connect BYO plan, to a Telstra Every Day Connect plan w/ handset) would I be charged a cancellation fee on the BYO?

Any help would be appreciated, before I make the big leap into the big pond.

If you purchase a Mobile Phone outright outside of Telstra, and swapped it for your current phone, you will not be charged an Early Termination Fee. You may be up for a cost to replace the SIM, however this varies depending on the store you get your SIM card from.

I don't believe you would be charged a Cancellation Fee if you moved between the plans, however I would be inclined to double check with Telstra via LiveChat to be sure.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit