Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

2.4ghz not showing suddenly; Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

A few of our devices stopped being able to connect to our nbn service on Friday 7th August. After some research on this site and troubleshooting we’ve come to the conclusion that our modem is faulty. We’ve done all the recommended fixes for our issue - including moving devices closer to the modem, turning band steering off and of course the classic “turn it off and on again”. Our problem still persists. We contacted Telstra, who said they’d stabilise our wifi and keep a watch on our account for issues, which turned up nothing, and we were still only able to access 5ghz. We called them again, and were told everything is fine, despite the fact that we still have issues. We’ve asked for a replacement but instead our phone call was cut off, and when we attempted to call back, were told our issue is resolved and we can no longer call about this issue. What can we do? Telstra won’t help us and we can’t call them. We’re working from home and remote learning, which is difficult when only some of our devices connect. Can anyone help?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: 2.4ghz not showing suddenly; Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

Suggest you con the TIO and make a complaint.

https://www.tio.com.au/making-a-complaint

Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

Hi @Mahjho 

Yes, I am seeing a lot of complaints about the Telstra modems loosing the 2.4GHz band after a period of time. Not sure it is hardware or a software (firmware) glitch presently.

I would try lodging a formal complaint https://tel.st/4amxg  before contacting the TIO (Provided they don't take too long) so you have then given Telstra an opportunity to rectify your issue, formally.

Pre COVID-19 it would take 5 business days for a case manager to be assigned. I'm not sure how that looking at the  moment.

Good luck :-)

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper
Highlighted
Level 20: Director
Level 20: Director

Hi - Can you check if your modem's Encryption setting in the 2.4 Ghz is set to WPA/WPA2-PSK instead of just Default WPA2 and SAVE. Test if you can now connect with 2.4 Ghz device.

If not and the modem is a DJ0231 with 18.1.c 0514-950RB, that its Protected Management Frames - Advanced/Wi-Fi is OFF and SAVE. 

Let us know if either suggestion works in case it helps and of interest to others. 

Highlighted

@Ozmoz wrote:

Hi @Mahjho 

Yes, I am seeing a lot of complaints about the Telstra modems loosing the 2.4GHz band after a period of time. Not sure it is hardware or a software (firmware) glitch presently.

I would try lodging a formal complaint https://tel.st/4amxg  before contacting the TIO (Provided they don't take too long) so you have then given Telstra an opportunity to rectify your issue, formally.

Pre COVID-19 it would take 5 business days for a case manager to be assigned. I'm not sure how that looking at the  moment.

Telstra Knows that there is tendency for the WiFi to go faulty on these modem's and the fault can not be detected by remote testing. Customers should not have to lodge a formal complaint to Telstra before a problem like this gets fixed. Telstra support has had adequate opportunity to investigate and fix the problem. Instead of that they have closed the case and refusing to take any more phone calls.

Highlighted

@cf4 wrote:

@Ozmoz wrote:

Hi @Mahjho 

Telstra Knows that there is tendency for the WiFi to go faulty on these modem's and the fault can not be detected by remote testing. Customers should not have to lodge a formal complaint to Telstra before a problem like this gets fixed. Telstra support has had adequate opportunity to investigate and fix the problem. Instead of that they have closed the case and refusing to take any more phone calls.

Hi @cf4 

Your right, customers shouldn't have to lodge a formal complaint.Doing so though helps with the TIO in that the customer has given Telstra all the opportunities to rectify the situation.

While I am personally no longer with Telstra's NBN I still use their older Frontier modem with my new provider and never have any issues.

Its just a pity customers are stuck with this new junk if they want to use the home phone line and can't use an alternative brand.

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more