FredK
Level 3: Gumshoe

2.4ghz wifi not working

Answered

Hi

I have a Telstra Gen2 Technicolor modem, DJA0231. 

Since about a week ago it doesn't broadcast 2.4Ghz anymore, only 5 Ghz. I have a few devices which only work with 2.4Ghz, and they can't connect anymore.

I see some old threads saying similar issues - some suggested firmware (which I thought would be resolved by now).

Anyone recently experienced this and know the answer.

I've called Telstra and their response is something like "the issue is not the modem, it's your devices". Make my blood boil.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FredK
Accepted Solution

Re: 2.4ghz wifi not working

In the end they confirmed there was no recent firmware update so that is not the cause. They ended up sending me a new modem which is all working fine now.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
FredK

ps - i have switched off band steering and my phone, etc can only see the 5Ghz channel; not the 2.4Ghz channel.

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - sometimes data corruption can occur during the auto firmware update process without the user's knowledge until we try to use a feature - this particular model seems to have issues with one or the other of its WiFi chips going offline. Is your modem's firmware at version 18.1.c.0585-MR7.1-RA? 

Did the Telstra Agent suggest you try a factory Reset of the modem during the remote investigation process? The Agent may see no indication of the 2.4 Ghz WiFi going offline from their terminal, however it is obvious to you that is not the case. Suggest you contact Telstra and ask to put through to Platinum support - there is no charge if a fault is found with the modem and the modem should be replaced. 

Evidence of no 2.4 Ghz WiFi SSID broadcasting can be presented to Telstra by using a screen shot of a WiFi Inspection App in a mobile phone - e.g. Apple Airport Utility and others if you have Android. Not sure if the Telstra Home Dashboard will show an offline or faulty 2.4Ghz radio.

Some more meaningful information to pass on to Telstra are entries in the modem's log file. Advanced/Diagnostics/Event Log/Log Viewer/Everything/ Export All - that will create a .txt file which can be imported into a spreadsheet. Before you Factory Reset the modem, as it will wipe all previous records, can you look for existing entries that indicate if the 2.4 Ghz Band is Up. After you Factory Reset it, the modem will load a fresh boot up record which should be shorter than your previous log entries. 

These are entries from a healthy DJA0231 after fresh boot up - your spreadsheet cell number line entries may be different from mine.

Cell 545 : 2.4Ghz Radio 

Wed Feb 12 10:25:39 2020 kern.warn kernel: [ 36.617000] CONSOLE: 026738.695 wl0: Broadcom BCM4363 802.11 Wireless Controller 10.10.131.36 (r766584)

Cell 645: 5 Ghz Radio 

Wed Feb 12 10:25:39 2020 kern.warn kernel: [ 37.436000] CONSOLE: RTE (PCIE-MSG_BUF) 10.10.131.36 (r766584) on BCM43664 r4 @ 40.0/200.0/800.0MHz

Cell 1199 - 1201 : wl0-1 is 2.4 Ghz and wl1_1 is 5Ghz

Wed Feb 12 10:25:58 2020 daemon.notice netifd: Network device 'wl0_1' link is up
Wed Feb 12 10:25:58 2020 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'Guest1' has link connectivity
Wed Feb 12 10:25:58 2020 daemon.notice netifd: Network device 'wl1_1' link is up
Wed Feb 12 10:25:58 2020 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'Guest1_5GHz' has link connectivity

If the Telstra Agent is seeing the above lines, they may think all is OK, but something else is obviously causing the 2.4Ghz to fail. Other entries which may impact the Wi-Fi are Telstra THOR and WiFi Doctor. 

Hope you get a person who is empathetic to your situation in Platinum Support. 

FredK

Thanks for the detailed response. I’ve already done a factory reset before calling Telstra. Funnily enough they didn’t even suggest that, just simply stated there is no fault with the modem. The call ended with “we’ll call you back in a couple of minutes”.  It’s now 1.5days later...

You’ve given some helpful tips, thanks. I was trying to ask Telstra how I can evidence this to them.

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

All you need to tell Telstra support is that the 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty as non of your devices can see the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi. If they ask you how you know the devices can't see the modem's tell them you have disabled band steering which adds -5G to the name of the 5 GHz WiFi and your devices only see the modem's WiFi with that has the name with -5G added.

If they want further proof tell them you installed a WiFi analyzer and it  only displays the modem's WiFi on the 5 GHz WiFi band.

FredK

I called again today after not hearing back from them. Someone a little more helpful and empathetic this time. Actually acknowledged they can see this has occurred on this model before.

They are wanting to do a firmware rollback to see if that resolves the issue; before just sending a new one. Let's see...

FredK
Accepted Solution

In the end they confirmed there was no recent firmware update so that is not the cause. They ended up sending me a new modem which is all working fine now.

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more