Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

4G backup speed

The 4G backup speed for the smart modem is supposed to be 6 Mbps. When I first installed it I ran a test and that's more or less what I got. Now my cable connection has been down for 2 days and the modem automatically switched to 4G backup, with a speed of no better than 200 kbps. So when you don't need it it works fine, but when you do it is useless.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: 4G backup speed

Have you rang support and requested that they fill in a WEB form to have the throttling removed? Backup gets throttled to 256 Kbps if used for extended period off time though I would have expected that Telstra would not throttle after only two days on backup.

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

I think throttling is based on data usage and not time. About 10Gb seems to trigger throttling.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

They don't answer. It was "throttled" from the start, anyway. As soon as the cable went down the backup kicked in at dial-up speed.
Highlighted

Which number did you ring? I always get answered on the 132200 number, usually within 5 minutes.

Highlighted

Thanks for that, I tried it got someone, but they were useless. They kept telling me they have no control over the 4G download speed which is obviously wrong. Now they say they will need to send out a technician but they can't arrange that because of the floods in Townsville (I am in Sydney).

You need to ask them to submit the web form to get it unthrottled, but the floods will also be affecting the availability of techs as they do get moved to areas where natural disasters occur.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I just rang Telstra and tried two different techs who were not able to help with the throttled 4G backup speed. She asked me to ring back when there is an actual outage. I told her that would increase their support load and I am being proactive but logic would not get through. She denied knowing of any web form to request an unthrottle of the 4G.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more