Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

4g Smart Modem Backup Limits if any

Answered

Hi all

Just recently my family signed up with Telstra for an NBN plan but since NBN isn't available yet they're still going to send us out the 4g Smart Modem to use in the meantime. We were told that it'd be unlimited data (plan is unlimited and were told 4g would be so too). But saw some posts that said the 4g backup had different limits.

What limits exactly would the 4g backup have?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 20: Director
Accepted Solution

Re: 4g Smart Modem Backup Limits if any

Hi - the 4G Back was only designed for temporary outages and not as an alternative long term solution* . The SIM is coded for operation at a maximum limit of 6 Mbps/1 Mbps with a cap of 10GB a month after which your speed reduces to 256kps extended by Telstra on application if due to faults. I am not aware if these conditions have been relaxed due to current Coronavirus assistance support. If your existing modem and service arrangement operates at higher speeds and download allowance, you may be better off waiting for the NBN to happen first. 

* It is possible to replace the SIM with another 4G SIM to give you whatever service subscribed but depending on usage, this may not be price justified.  

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Hi - thank you for that. Sucks to know that since we were pretty much told the exact opposite over the phone. Just gonna see how it plays out and cancel it if need be.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Hi - the 4G Back was only designed for temporary outages and not as an alternative long term solution* . The SIM is coded for operation at a maximum limit of 6 Mbps/1 Mbps with a cap of 10GB a month after which your speed reduces to 256kps extended by Telstra on application if due to faults. I am not aware if these conditions have been relaxed due to current Coronavirus assistance support. If your existing modem and service arrangement operates at higher speeds and download allowance, you may be better off waiting for the NBN to happen first. 

* It is possible to replace the SIM with another 4G SIM to give you whatever service subscribed but depending on usage, this may not be price justified.  

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Hi - thank you for that. Sucks to know that since we were pretty much told the exact opposite over the phone. Just gonna see how it plays out and cancel it if need be.

Highlighted

You can forget Netflixing or anything else for that matter on 4G back up ....i'm in the same boat and currently experiencing 0.9 Mbps speed if lucky - hopeless situation.

Highlighted

Thanks. I am not sure of all the circumstances that people face when wishing to connect to NBN and what arrangements Telstra has the freedom to offer in special cases. A friend of mine had NBN before he moved into a Retirement Village and asked for his existing service to be relocated. Much to his surprise the company who owns the Village establishment didn't think it necessary to apply to NBN for connection to their whole complex, so his request to Telstra for NBN was not able to be fulfilled in time for his relocation to his new residence there.

Telstra offered him a special arrangement of continuing payments at previous rates and provided complimentary equipment in the form of a 4G Mobile Broadband Hotspot Display Modem and a specially programmed Telstra EasyCall 3 with a controlled SIM that had to be used on premises under a Telstra "New Developments Wireless Service" Agreement. Unlimited voice calls and uncapped data download applies; his speed test revealed 30Mbps download, so he is happy with that - watches Netflix and surfs the Internet at the same time. All equipment has to be returned to Telstra in a pre-paid courier bag provided by Telstra after a replacement service is completed.

He has had this for two months now and is expecting connection of an exchange line service and broadband service next week , which surprised me as he received two separate letters from Telstra with no mention of NBN on the letters at all, implying it may be ADSL2+. Another surprise as I thought there was a Stop Sales on ADSL installations due to NBN conditions. Will find out soon.  

If you have a generous unused data allowance in your mobile phone/s, you may be able to temporarily improve your download experiences using it as Personal Hotspot. Just make sure it is connected to power as it consumes battery very quickly in that mode.    

Highlighted

That gives me some hope for my case. Hopefully i could arrange something similar with Telstra

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more