JenKT
Level 2: Rookie

4GX USB Pro vs 4GX USB Modem

Answered

Hi team,

I have a bit of a face-palm situation. So my boss just bought a 4GX USB Pro (Pro). He thought it was the same thing as the 4GX USB Modem (Modem) which he's already using for another device. The Pro & Modem look the same to him, so he assumed he had the right thing and didn't ask any questions in the store (or read the box which clearly states its exclusive use with the Gateway). Is there any known work-around to have the new one work the same way as the Modem? What's the difference in the hardware?

Since he's taken it all out of the box and messed around with it, I'm assuming we can't take it back to exchange... 

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: 4GX USB Pro vs 4GX USB Modem

Hi - does the 4GX USB Pro Wingle have the part number Huawei E8372D on the back of the unit. If so, it is sold as an accessory to the Telstra Netgear V7610 Gateway Pro Modem as the back up 4G service for when the Internet is down. It has no integral Wi-Fi Hotspot for connection other nearby devices and is branded as "Not compatible with other devices". I am not sure if that means other modems for 4G Back Up use only and therefore it is strictly limited for connection to the V7610.

Was the unit purchased as a 4GX BackUp service or purely to connect to a laptop or PC as a single use function. The 4GX USB Modem has the part number Huawei E8372 and can be used to connect to a PC for single user  or to a USB wall charger to provide a Mini Hotspot for 5 devices.

There is no harm in taking it back to the retailer and asking for an exchange.  

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Mkrtich
Accepted Solution

Hi - does the 4GX USB Pro Wingle have the part number Huawei E8372D on the back of the unit. If so, it is sold as an accessory to the Telstra Netgear V7610 Gateway Pro Modem as the back up 4G service for when the Internet is down. It has no integral Wi-Fi Hotspot for connection other nearby devices and is branded as "Not compatible with other devices". I am not sure if that means other modems for 4G Back Up use only and therefore it is strictly limited for connection to the V7610.

Was the unit purchased as a 4GX BackUp service or purely to connect to a laptop or PC as a single use function. The 4GX USB Modem has the part number Huawei E8372 and can be used to connect to a PC for single user  or to a USB wall charger to provide a Mini Hotspot for 5 devices.

There is no harm in taking it back to the retailer and asking for an exchange.  

View solution in original post

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

It will only work with the Gateway. It can't be used in any other device.

You could try taking it back, but it would be up to the store manager as to whether they would accept it as it would be classed as a "change of mind" return, which Telstra don't allow as standard practice.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
JenKT
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks, Mkrtich, that's the one. The positive outcome is we now have a backup if our office internets goes down because we have a Gateway Pro here, so the boss gets to come out on top, which he doesn't mind. 😉

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more