Level 2: Rookie

5G Wifi Pro

Hi if I have the Lan cable plugged into the 5g modem and repower the unit than I get no service, I have to unplug Lan cable and service comes back.

Also happens if the modem resets itself, if Lan cable is plugged in than I get no service, all I do is unplug Lan cable and service comes back, I plug cable back in and I get internet on my PC's.

What could be wrong please?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 21: Augmented

Re: 5G Wifi Pro

Does the same thing happen if you are connected by Wi-Fi?

If you have a small powered ethernet switch, it would be interesting to connect that to the modem and your PC to the switch as well and see if it happens..  

I am thinking the modem power up current might be a bit too high to start up with LAN connected.. or some issue with DHCP server not starting..  

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Level 2: Rookie

No if only WIFI no issues. To get the 5G network service back all I do it unplug the LAN and wait 5 seconds then plug it back in.

Weird if they made a product that cannot boot up to 5G network with LAN cable plugged in....

Level 21: Augmented

I'm only guessing, but is probably the initial current required by the ethernet port at startup that is possibly stopping the 5G component of the modem from powering up correctly (I have a couple of SoC microcontrollers devices that do the same thing, but Wi-Fi is OK).

As suggested, a small powered ethernet switch (i.e. a 5 port switch with is own power pack) connected to the modem by cable might work - this is how I get around my SoC microcontroller issues. You then connect your laptop LAN cable to switch, plus you 'could' connect other devices as well I think.

There have been other reports of the same problem you are having, so possibly a design or firmware issue.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Level 1: Cadet

This is a major flaw and I can't buy the device unless it's resolved.

Thanks for alerting us Hazey10 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more