Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

ADD A LANDLINE OR VOIP PHONE TO SMART MODEM?

Greetings, amorphous support crowd ...

I have an NBN Smart Modem and I'm rapt ... no complaints.  I even added a Telstra Smart Wi-Fi Booster to get a clean signal out to the other buildings. 

Now I want to know if it is possible to add a landline or VOIP handset to the Smart Modem.  We've just been using our mobiles, but my elderly in laws have trouble hearing unless we use a landline.

Suggestions?  Solutions? 

I have been with Telstra for over 40 years ... Hasn't always been good, but that's how marriages are.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: ADD A LANDLINE OR VOIP PHONE TO SMART MODEM?

If you have a Telstra NBN service you can connect an normal landline phone or cordless phone base into the green RJ11 phone port on the modem.

If you have a VOIP handset or VOIP adapter you can also connect these to the modem via one of the LAN ports or WiFi if you have an VOIP service with another provider.

Yes, and I have a local landline number listed on my account ... just plug in a phone and let 'er rip?
I have been with Telstra for over 40 years ... Hasn't always been good, but that's how marriages are.
Highlighted

That’s correct. The phone light on modem should be green even when no phone connected. If phone light on modem not green then there is fault with service.
Highlighted

Thanks Superhero ... I plugged in a phone and it works fine ... it's really just for emergencies ad because our elderly parents are deaf!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more