austyro
Level 2: Rookie

ADSL credential (password) problem

Answered

Apologies this is going to be a long post - having a very difficult time getting help on this problem as the "technicians" seem not to listen nor understand what they are being told is happening.

Original problem:
If we left our house we would leave browsers open, but turn off Wifi.
When we got home we would turn on wifi, then browsers would refresh pages and the modem would shut down and reset.
We would eventually reconnect without a problem.
We phoned support multiple times, and after trying numerous times to explain the problem to numerous technicians, our password was reset, we have no idea why as we haven't had problems connecting in over 4 years.

Changing password resulted in another problem as the (and we worked this out ourselves) PPPoE credentials was not saving the new password. It kept reverting to the OLD password in the password field. The first indicator was the Old password was 8 digits and the new password is 9, but we kept seeing just 8 digits in the password field, we then found out how to view the HIDDEN password in our browser. With multiple brownouts/blackouts because of bad weather and a scheduled power outage, we continually had to open the Gateway GUI and re-enter the new password. Once connected we were fine until the next power outage or DSL drop-out.

We persisted calling technical support, and was told our modem (Technicolor TG797n V3) was faulty.

We were told to go to our "nearest" Telstra shop to get a new modem, our nearest Telstra shop is about a 3-4 hour round trip without stopping.

We were then sent out a NEW Arcadyan Smart modem and guess what? SAME PROBLEM. To sum up, Entering our ISP credentials (Not WIFI) password just does not save, even though both the modems GUI's say that changes have been successfully saved. As long as nothing happens to our power (electricity interruption) and our ADSL doesn't drop out we stay connnected to ADSL. Otherwise the new Smart Modem reverts to 4G backup and we have to re-enter password to connect back to ADSL.

On another unrelated note (to top it all off) we phoned Telstra support because our Mobile Phone service was down (No networks at all listed in our phones settings.) Firstly we were told we'd be sent out a comfirmation code to our Mobile (phone). GREAT when your mobile phone service is DOWN!
We were told there were no outages and to reboot our phones which didn't help. We were told to remove and replace our sim cards which didn't help and went through all the scripted BS. We later found out that because of the planned power outage the Mobile phone tower was down because the backup generator wasn't up to powering it for the 7 hours we were without electricity!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: ADSL credential (password) problem

With an Telstra ADSL connection after a reboot or loss of sync the maintenance server updates the modem with PPPOE password. It sounds like the maintenance server has the old password stored on it and is not being updated with new password. Each time modem connects to maintenance server the new password is replaced by the old password. If you haven’t already lodge a complaint. The normal support staff will not be able to fix this and it will need to be escalated.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
26 REPLIES 26
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Might be a silly question, but where are you putting in the username and password information and saving it? in the modem GUI, at the PP Credential Setting location?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

If you ever want to check if there is a Telstra Outage you can do so at the webpage

austyro

I think I mentioned the PPPoe credentials ...

austyro

can't check a webpage when there is no power for internet, nor when there is no mobile service to also access the 'net

Dowser

@austyro wrote:

can't check a webpage when there is no power for internet, nor when there is no mobile service to also access the 'net

I realise that. I provided the information in case you were not aware that the page existed.

SteveW_52

You did, but my question was 'where' you were putting those details in...  you might be aware of it, but my crystal ball is long broken, so I like to check things..

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

but your mobile is exactly that 'mobile'..  you might pick up service somewhere else and then you can check for the outage??

Stevo 52
Dowser

Please read the following from a different thread

When you change the password via the MyAccount login it will push the new password out to the various servers, like the one that checks for modem log-ins (username) and the email server (email address).  Even though the username and email address is the same, sometimes there can be a different password in each of these servers 

Changing it in MyAccount should realign the email address/username so that only one password is used to log into all servers.  

When the dialogue box advises that ‘you will also need to update your password for your Internet connection’,  what is is saying is once you've changed your password  make sure you put or save the new password into your modem user interface otherwise your modem will be disconnected because the password doesn't match. 

austyro

OK.. fair enough but if I mentioned the PPPoe would you not expect that I was in the broadband section tab of the GUI at the section that says PPPoe and not on the WiFi page ... don't mean to sound rude or ungrateful but tried to keep OP as short as we could as to not bore anyone to death

austyro

whole area was out (small rural town) ... 

cf4
Accepted Solution

With an Telstra ADSL connection after a reboot or loss of sync the maintenance server updates the modem with PPPOE password. It sounds like the maintenance server has the old password stored on it and is not being updated with new password. Each time modem connects to maintenance server the new password is replaced by the old password. If you haven’t already lodge a complaint. The normal support staff will not be able to fix this and it will need to be escalated.

View solution in original post

SteveW_52

I don't like to assume too much when faced with these sort of issues..  people can and do get things wrong when posting here about problems..  Smiley Happy

I was working towards the information provided by @cf4 

Stevo 52
austyro

Thanks we did see that thread which has give us another lead to a fix. The original password for the email  account belongs to my mother who now has dementia, so is ...ummm ...lost. That is the next problem to be attended to. I thought maybe another user may have had the same problem of the password reverting to an old one and been able to shed some extra light for us.

austyro

oh how true .... so much more to this story but way too much to type up ... been fighting for almost a month with offshore technical support who think because you are connected there is no problem and rebooting,, resetting ... etc etc fixes everything and everything is a user fault and never a server side problem. 

austyro

Thank you. That makes sense. Now to convince support staff of that fact. Tried last night to tell them something along these lines and all they would answer was our service was connected and they could see how many times we had entered the password to connect DSL and didn't see that was a problem. Asked for an escalation but seeing how long this has dragged out already ..... who knows when we will be contacted.

Dowser

Well expressed.

I thought that the OP could use the information that I posted to change the password stored on the server.

Dowser

Would you please follow the instructions in my earlier post about changing the password stored in My Telstra and test if it helps and report back.

I am interested in the results.

austyro

As I replied ...... 

Thanks we did see that thread which has give us another lead to a fix. The original password for the email  account belongs to my mother who now has dementia, so is ...ummm ...lost. That is the next problem to be attended to."

Dowser

If you have access to the account’s emails (via a password saved in an email client) then you can reset the password using the link

austyro

Thanks for the previous help. I have answered this twice already .... the email account belonged to my mother who now has dementia. She has forgotten the password which means I cannot change reset .... etc .... she got rid of her computer years ago so there is no email client to check. I cannot login to the email account to get the link..

Dowser

I know that you explained the situation previously. I was hopeful that the password may have still been saved in an email client.

One thing you could try is logging into your mother’s email address using the new & old ADSL passwords mentioned in your first post. Only try once with each because several wrong passwords could lock the account.

If that does not work you might have to go down the legal path. I had POA for my mother, so I empathise your situation.

austyro

Tried both old password (which apparently is supposed to be the email password) and the new password, tried passwords I know she used (always used the same password/s). Been trying different combinations spread over different days so I wouldn't trigger a lock out, but here we are ... no further advanced. We are still searching for answers, and as cf4 posted we think that is exactly what has happened. The password change didn't propagate to the full server range and we have been left in limbo. Once we get the passwords in sync then that will hopefully solve the email access and we can then change as we want. And the solution will eventually be posted here.

austyro

********  UPDATE **********

Just spoken to a supervisor. Apparently we are not the only customers with this problem, He stated a server side fix is needed and will be fixed soon. The access to the email/username will hopefully be fixed as the account does not exist, so changing passwords is impossible without that account.

@austyro wrote:

Apologies this is going to be a long post - having a very difficult time getting help on this problem as the "technicians" seem not to listen nor understand what they are being told is happening.

Original problem:
When we got home we would turn on wifi, then browsers would refresh pages and the modem would shut down and reset.
We phoned support multiple times, and after trying numerous times to explain the problem to numerous technicians, our password was reset, we have no idea why as we haven't had problems connecting in over 4 years.

Changing password resulted in another problem as the (and we worked this out ourselves) PPPoE credentials was not saving the new password. It kept reverting to the OLD password in the password field. The first indicator was the Old password was 8 digits and the new password is 9, but we kept seeing just 8 digits in the password field, we then found out how to view the HIDDEN password in our browser. With multiple brownouts/blackouts because of bad weather and a scheduled power outage, we continually had to open the Gateway GUI and re-enter the new password. Once connected we were fine until the next power outage or DSL drop-out.

We persisted calling technical support, and was told our modem (Technicolor TG797n V3) was faulty.

We were told to go to our "nearest" Telstra shop to get a new modem, our nearest Telstra shop is about a 3-4 hour round trip without stopping.

We were then sent out a NEW Arcadyan Smart modem and guess what? SAME PROBLEM. To sum up, Entering our ISP credentials (Not WIFI) password just does not save, even though both the modems GUI's say that changes have been successfully saved. As long as nothing happens to our power (electricity interruption) and our ADSL doesn't drop out we stay connnected to ADSL. Otherwise the new Smart Modem reverts to 4G backup and we have to re-enter password to connect back to ADSL.

On another unrelated note (to top it all off) we phoned Telstra support because our Mobile Phone service was down (No networks at all listed in our phones settings.) Firstly we were told we'd be sent out a comfirmation code to our Mobile (phone). GREAT when your mobile phone service is DOWN!
We were told there were no outages and to reboot our phones which didn't help. We were told to remove and replace our sim cards which didn't help and went through all the scripted BS. We later found out that because of the planned power outage the Mobile phone tower was down because the backup generator wasn't up to powering it for the 7 hours we were without electricity!

austyro

@austyro wrote:

*****  FINAL UPDATE ******
All fixed - server side fix required and now done. Passwords finally sync'd. Only took 10 days. Even had some credit offered for our trouble. Thank you forum for the additional input.

********  UPDATE **********

Just spoken to a supervisor. Apparently we are not the only customers with this problem, He stated a server side fix is needed and will be fixed soon. The access to the email/username will hopefully be fixed as the account does not exist, so changing passwords is impossible without that account.

@austyro wrote:

Original problem:

Dowser

I suspect that if you had had your mother’s password, then you could have changed the password via the MyAccount login as I detailed, which would have “push(ed) the new password out to the various servers”

You setup is now functioning, which is great news.

austyro

If only it were that simple Dowser - we have the correct password now, we have the username - unfortunately we were not aware that the email account had been deleted by Telstra. So no way to get the link via the email to change it and like you said ..."push the new password".  

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more