Level 1: Cadet

ADSL home wifi issues

Iv had my wifi service with Telstra for almost 2weeks and Iv had nothing but problem after problem!
I have 3 devices I have my iPhone 6plus, my iPad Air2 and my laptop (it is older but not old enough not to be connected lol) my wifi consistently drops out and disconnects me and my iPhone reverts back to my phone data each and everytime this disconnection happens I have to go into my settings tap onto the Telstra wifi and re-enter the pass key sometimes it won't accept the pass key and I have to keep putting it in Iv have had do renters more than I can count on both hands! My iPhone reverts back to my 4G network my iPad goes to nothing and my laptop won't even connect wirelessly or with the cables provided with my modem it's the TG797n the 1st modem I was issued they thought could have been faulty so they sent out another modem the same one when I was told I would be issued with the max the latest one so I set the "new" modem up and again same issue with the disconnection this is a consistent problem I'm having and no one that I have spoken to has been able to resolve this issue I have talked to so many Telstra employees over the last 2 weeks that it's getting beyond a joke today they escalated my issue with level 2 tech team and am awaiting a call from them to I'd say tell me the same as they have been! Also my signal is horrible and the modem is only just down the hall from my lounge room and I am lucky to get 2 little bars of service it's also a very slow connection it takes ages to load anything! If I switch back to my 4G (before the wifi decided to just cut me off) it's amazing as to how much faster and the 4G connection is to this ADSL2+ crap that is claimed to be very prompt and speedy my experience this is not true! If anyone is able to advise or help that would be much apreciated

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: ADSL home wifi issues

Hi there, welcome to crowd support.. Unfortunately my eyes couldn't handle the WALL OF TEXT so I've cleared things up to hopefully get your point across Smiley Wink

**Begin**

I've had my service with Telstra for almost 2 weeks and had nothing but problem after problem!

There's 3 devices that connect to the router wirelessly, an iPhone 6plus, iPad Air2 and my laptop (it is older but not old enough not to be connected lol).

The wifi on the router consistently drops out, disconnects the iPhone which reverts back to my phone data.  I'm then required to go into my settings, tap onto the Telstra wifi then re-enter the pass key, sometimes it won't accept the pass key and I have to keep putting it in. I've have had do this more times than I can count!

As a point of reference the laptop won't even connect to the Internet when directly connected to the modem. Support thought the first modem my have been faulty so they sent out another modem (TG797n). I set the "new" modem up and again same issue with the disconnections.

This is a consistent problem I'm having and no one that I have spoken to has been able to resolve this issue. I have talked to so many Telstra employees over the last 2 weeks that it's getting beyond a joke and today they escalated my issue to level 2 and I'm now waiting for a call from them! Also my signal is horrible and the modem is only just down the hall from my lounge room and I am lucky to get 2 little bars of service it's also a very slow connection it takes ages to load anything! If I switch back to my 4G (before the wifi decided to just cut me off) it's amazing as to how much faster and the 4G connection is to this ADSL2+ crap that is claimed to be very prompt and speedy my experience this is not true! If anyone is able to advise or help that would be much appreciated.

**EOM**

The way I read it is you're lacking the basic understand of your wireless modem router and the difference your network and the Internet.

By the sounds you have a few related but seperate issues.

One. The location of your wireless router isn't in a ideal location for good overall coverage in your home.

Two. The wireless connection not sticking once set in a device. (Could be related when modem losses connection hence the 4G fallback)

Three. The connection from the modem and to the exchange if very unstable (which will require a visit to resolve).

Im off to work so unless someone else steps in I'll look at this in more detail when I get home Smiley Wink

(apologies for any typos)

Cheers,
Dave

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Unless you can find someone tech savvie to come and help you you'll have to isolate the various issues one by one.

For starters:

Try to get the modem, laptop, iphone and ipad i one room. Then check if the connections keep dropping.

Also try to connect the laptop via an ethernet cable to one of the etheret sockets on the modem. This should guarantee a good connection. An ethernet cable came with your modem and most laptops have a socket for that 

Then try to access the control panel (web page) of your modem. How to do that should be in the quick start guide you received with the modem. Like http://telstra.gateway or something like that.

The control panel gives you information about your connection speed on the ADSL-2. A good connection should have at least 15 Mbs download speed and 1Mbs upload speed. 

When the link keeps dropping check if the dsl led on your modem is gree or blinking. Blinking measn that the link dropped and the modem is tryig to re-connect.

Hope this helps a bit.

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

The connection speed is highly variant on distance and a number of other factors too, so even if it is below 15/1Mbps, it might still be within the expectable speeds based on your distance and the line testing.

Also, ADSL2+ maxes out at 20Mbps, whereas LTE (4G), depending on the device and the tower(s) nearby, and provide theoretical speeds up to 600Mbps, or up to 30 times the speed (on a new CAT11 device in a multiband coverage area)... so you will almost always find that 4G will be faster than ADSL(2+), even on low 4G I get average speeds about 35Mbps here, which is still about double the speed we get on ADSL2+, and we live pretty much next to the exchange...

If http://telstra.gateway doesn't work for you, try http://10.0.0.138 which is the other actual IP address for the modem control pannel... normally they will both work, but if one doesn't you have both to try.

On a side note, depending on the design of the house, there are certain things, like certain insulation, or metal frames, or even other radio signals which can be detrimental to your wi-fi signal, if when you bring up your wi-fi network list you see a large number of wi-fi networks, you might be experiencing issues because of multiple connections on the same channel... so in the gateway control panel, under wi-fi, try changing the wireless channel to a different channel, it is likely on 1, which is often the most populated, so try 3 or 6 and see if that helps at all.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Right Oh Shell7,

Folks have been helping out here and it's great to see!

With those comments in mind, I think your first point of call is to sort the connection from the first telephone point in the home to the exchange, as it seems that this could be one of the major issues.

The modem it's self doesn't require a line filter however any connected telephony device (phone, fax, back to base alarm ect) does.. 

I would suggest that you use the notebook with an Ethernet cable directly connected to the modem/router. Also be connected to the closest phone point to the street (one could assume that this would be the first point in the house.....normally)

A few things come to mind. With all the interaction with support you don't mention that you've preformed an isolation test either by yourself or with the help from tech support.. How to perform an Isolation Test

If it's possible are you able to share the modems/routers line statistics? I can only assume you know how to access this as you did state you setup the new modem/router.

Cheers,
Dave

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more