r0R
Level 2: Rookie

Airport Extreme and Telstra Modem on NBN Not Working

Answered

We may have a (what might be) slightly unusual situation where the connection coming into the house for NBN is in our bedroom and connecting the Telstra Smart Modem in that room isn't feasible as it light up the room like a christmas tree. Previously we were on cable and the cable connection was in our living room and I was extending the wireless network with an Apple Extreme as the wifi signal in the bedroom isn't strong enough. So currently I'm plugging the nbn gateway directly into an ethernet port (in our bedroom by the nbn port) that runs cat5 to our living room and the Telstra modem is plugged into that port. This is working fine. However, we now have the old problem with the signal (ironically) in our bedroom not being strong enough and I want to use the airport extreme to extend the network. As I understand it, I can plug the extreme into the nbn gateway and use this as the "primary" (I'm not a network person so forgive the terminology) modem, and still run the ethernet cable to the Telstra Modem, I've tested this and it works, but only if I run 2 seperate networks (2 different SSID's). I've tried extending, etc. from the extreme but I just run into issues. Do I need to run the Telstra Modem in bridged mode to get this to work? This isn't ideal as I then I lose the 4g backup capability, though having said that I guess I'd lose the Airport's network extension in that scenario anyway. Is there any other way of doing this that doesn't involve the use of a hub or splitter?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
r0R
Accepted Solution

Re: Airport Extreme and Telstra Modem on NBN Not Working

I had considered covering up the lights and I have literally just received arcadayn version of the modem (didn't realise it had a dimmmer control) so that might actually work better.  At the moment I was considering putting a splitter at both ends and effectively created a loop back to the Extreme.

Thanks for the help and advice.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

The only way to use the Telstra modem as a WiFi access point using the same SSID and not having any problems due to having two NATs is to either Bridge the modem or to use modem in normal mode but with its router and 4G backup function disabled.

In both cases the 4G backup function off the modem and VOIP will no longer work.

Using modem in bridge mode is easier to set up. If there is s prolonged outage can reset modem and use 4G backup. Before placing modem in bridge mode suggest you also disable DHCP and IPv 6 in the modem (Advanced > Local Network)

cf4

Have you considered covering the modem lights with masking tape and leaving Telstra modem in the bedroom? If you have the arcadyan version of the modem there is a control for dimming the back lights of the modem.

r0R
Accepted Solution

I had considered covering up the lights and I have literally just received arcadayn version of the modem (didn't realise it had a dimmmer control) so that might actually work better.  At the moment I was considering putting a splitter at both ends and effectively created a loop back to the Extreme.

Thanks for the help and advice.

View solution in original post

r0R

cf4, I cannot find the dimmer control, maybe haven't looked hard enough but where do I find it?

cf4

Unfortunately a Ethernet splitter want work. It could possibly work if you used special patch cables with only four pins connected to cable pairs. You would need two cables with say pins 1,2,3,6 at both ends (Cable type 1) and two cables with pins 4,5,7,8 (Wall socket end) 1,2,3,6 (Equipment end) (Cable Type 2). But even with this type of cable I cannot guarantee that it will work.

The reason you can't find the dimmer switch is because there is no dimmer switch in the Arcadyan modem.  I was wrong its in the Technicolor version of the modem (Advanced > Modem). Sorry giving you the wrong information.

r0R

That's OK, I've gone with the old tape solution, moved the Telstra modem to the bedroom and Extreme into the other room and it's all working like it should.  Modem doesn't appear to be emitting too much light now so hopefully all good. 

Where would we be without tape to many of life's problems?  Lol.

Thanks again for the help.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more