Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Am I being taken for a ride

Hi

Today my internet went out and received a text saying that there was an outage in my area. So my modem switch over to the 4G back up automatically. But the 4G cannot no even load a single webapage not a think speed was 0.1mps.

I contacted support via web chat explained the situation.

(Mind you the last time this happen it was due to the 4G back up had used all of its data so the speed is reduced to basically nothing.)

So the support then requested me to pull the sim card out. And then he replied for me to do this. 

//

We now need to perform a hard reset of your modem and I will need you help to do this. Please keep the sim card removed while you do this If you are currently connected to the modem you may lose internet connection during this time. I recommend you switch to a mobile, if possible. Also, reminding you this will wipe off any customised settings on your modem such as a customised Wi-Fi password.

To start, you'll need a paper clip, toothpick or something similar that would fit into the small reset hole . Hold it in for 10-15 secs until the lights on the modem turn off and back on again. While your modem is restarting, you will start to see the lights flicker again. During this time please don’t touch any of the cables and wait till the power light go solid green as this might take 3 mins for the modem to reconnect.

//

Now does this action reset the the modem completely ? And why would I need to preform this action to get a top up of data ?? 

I then requeated his name and employee number several times and he or she was gone waiting 17 mins for a response and nothing.

Now was this action to waste my time and then require a new modem to be sent out ?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Am I being taken for a ride

The resetting of the modem is a step in trying to figure out where the problem lies, it has nothing to do with topping up your data (especially as you shouldn't go over the limit for the backup service in less than a day).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more