Wadebrown
Level 2: Rookie

Android TV won’t connect to Telstra smart modem

Hi all I just received a brand new Telstra smart modem to replace my 7 year old one. 
I can no longer connect my android tv by wifi. It used to work. 
Any ideas?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
24 REPLIES 24
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Android TV won’t connect to Telstra smart modem

The 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi on the modem could be faulty. Suggest you install Netspot on a device that can connect by Wi-Fi to the modem and check that both the modem's 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi bands are transmitting. You should see two networks with modem's Wi-Fi name.

Wadebrown

Net spot app seems to only do speed tests now?

Dowser
Level 22: Superhuman

You could turn off Band Steering in the modem settings, which will cause the modem to use separate names for the 2.4GHz signal and the 5GHz signal.

Then look at the names of the WiFi signals that your mobile phone can detect.  The 5GHz signal will have the letters “5G” appended to its name.

cf4

Netspot only works on andriod or windows devices. Netspot for ios devices needs wifi pri 2500x device.

Another way to check if the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi is working is to check which band is being used by connected devices. To do this log into modem (http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra), go to Advanced > Devices or Advanced > Local Network > Devices. There is a list of all connected devices and how they are connected. If all Wi-Fi devices are shown as connected to 5GHz then 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi is probably faulty.

Melton1
Level 4: Private Eye

If its the case that your TV cannot see the Modem, then see other replies.

In my case, the TV (Samsung with Android OS) was connected but couldn't get on the internet (or particular apps couldn't connect).  I found that I needed to set the TV to obtain its DNS manually (use a Telstra DNS IP address), rather than have the DNS set to be obtained automatically.  All apps then worked.

Wadebrown

Different devices are connected by either 2.4 or 5 so they seem to be working correctly. 
My sons crappy little android tablet connects but the wifi range is a few metres. It used to work fine. 
the TV can see the modem but no internet once ‘connected’

Wadebrown

It can see the modem it just doesn’t connect. 
I will try the manual DNS option. 
pardon my ignorance but what would that DNS IP address be?

cf4

Instead of changing DNS in the TV the SNS can be changed in modem. There is a drop down list of DNS servers at Advanced > Local Network. Change both the IPV6 and the IPv4 DNS saving after changing. Change to OpenDNS. Below is example of the Arcadyan modem. The Technicolor modem is similar.

If still can't connect after changing DNS try changing Wi-Fi security mode from WPA2 PSK to WPA + WPA2 PSK.

If still can't connect try changing Bandwidth from auto to 20 MHz

Wadebrown

I think that worked - seems to connect but not sure if it was working before I made the change… it’s a weird one - it looked like it was already connected when I turned the TV on. 

the connection seems super slow though. 
my phone connected to the same wifi in the same room is super quick but not the TV connection 

Wadebrown

And the android tablet won’t stay connected more than a few metres away from the modem 

Dowser

If you have an iPhone you can install the Apple app Airport Utility and use it to measure the strength of the WiFi signal at various locations.

cf4

You could install a Wi-Fi Analyzer on the tablet. It will show a graph of the surrounding Wi-Fi networks. The modem's Wi-Fi should be much stronger than any of the neighbouring networks. The level should be above -40 dBm close to modem. Check both Wi-Fi bands.

@Dowser 

I have been unable to use the Airport Utility app as I believe it  needs a  AirPort base station to work.

Dowser

@cf4  It could appear that way (because it was developed as an Airport utility hence the name), but it’s not the case.

I just ran it on my iPhone & checked the channel & strength of my WiFi signal, with no Airport base station on the property.  It is the only app that I am aware of that measures WiFi signal strength on an Apple device (because it has access to libraries that Apple will not give app developers access to).

Its signal strength figures are not displayed in a graphical format like Wi-Fi Analyzer, so they are not as easy to interpret but I find it to be a useful tool.

Wadebrown

I spoke with Telstra they believe it’s just the devices themselves are poor (they are cheap) and the 2.4 connection is not very good. 
All my Apple products are connected to the 5ghz connection and are super quick but it looks like the android devices can only connect to the 2.4 and if I move down my hall way when they are connected, they disconnect 

SteveW_52

I have lots of android devices and they connect to either 2.4  or 5 GHz band...  the end device is not the problem, that is bull**bleep** advice from the Telstra Apple fan boys!!  they should be device agnostic if they are qualified to give advice... 

Just get a Wi-Fi analyser (for Android - the Wi-Fi Analyser app works fine) and check that both bands are available..  the 2.4 GHz band should have a greater range, so if it only works for a few metres, then the modem Wi-Fi 2.4 GHz radio is faulty..  my 2.4 GHz band has a range of over 30 metres..  speed does slow at the extremity, but it is still there. You should be able to see that when connecting any device to the 2.4 band...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4

The 5 GHz Wi-Fi Band is faster than the 2.4 GHz Band but depending and depending on the speed of the internet connection you should be able to get between 20 and 100 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi Band. See Iperf3 Speeds in table below. If you can't get over 20 Mbps on 2.4 GHz band when device is within 10 Meters of modem something is wrong with the modem.

Samsung Galaxy S9 Arcadyan Modem LH1000
  WiFi Physical rate Mbps Signal strength dbm WiFi Transmit Link Mbps Iperf3 Download Mbps Iperf3 Upload Mbps
Distance 5 GHz 2.4 GHz 5 GHz 2.4 GHz 5 GHz 2.4 GHz 5 GHz 2.4 GHz 5 GHz 2.4 GHz
<5M 1083 173 -40 -20 681 172 248 69 346 92
10M 780 144 -64 -43 259 172 246 71 315 60
20M 130 115 -81 -51 53 86 77 57 50 34
30M 97 58 -83 -66 28 25 37 31 23 15
40M 117 86 -83 -68 62 42 47 41 16 17
50M 87 57 -85 -66 12.3 51 23 25 15

Samsung GalaxyTab A6 2016 Arcadyan Modem LH1000
  WiFi Physical rate Mbps Signal strength dbm WiFi Transmit Link Mbps Iperf3 Download Mbps Iperf3 Upload Mbps
Distance 5 GHz 2.4 GHz 5 GHz 2.4 GHz 5 GHz 2.4 GHz 5 GHz 2.4 GHz 5 GHz 2.4 GHz
<5M 433 72 -48 -44 318 55.5 265 49 201 46
10M 325 72 -55 -52 250 57 199 49 117 44
20M 130 72 -77 -57 47.6 54 59 48 12 43
30M 65 65 -86 -67 11 37 16 35 11 32
40M 65 65 -86 -70 12 34 21 28 11 28
50M 97 55 -85 -73 8 31 6 27 7 14
Wadebrown

Both bands are available. My Apple devices are all connected to the 5ghz option but my android device does not have the option for either. My Apple devices have the choice for 2.4 or 5. 

Wadebrown

So I just did some testing. I had my Apple device connected to the 5G connection and it was going at 38mbps. I then connected to the 2.4 and right next to them modem I was only getting 3 or so. 
Faulty modem?

Dowser

Please also measure the signal strength. This could add weight to your concerns when discussing the issue with Telstra Support.

Wadebrown

I can check that on my android tablet. It says -46dbm

on my iPhone I am not sure how to check signal strength but if I login to the browser 192.168 etc etc it shows my iPhone connection on 2.4h and signal strength -60dbm

cf4

Close the modem the signal strength should be about -30 dbm. -47 dbm indicates a faulty modem. -60dbm definitely indicates faulty modem. The very slow speed also indicates the modem's 2.4 GHz Wi=Fi is faulty.

Wadebrown

Really appreciate everyone’s help!! I will give Telstra a call again tomorrow armed with my new found ammo haha thanks again. 

Melton1
Level 4: Private Eye

As earlier mentioned, Apple supplies the app Airport Utility for iOS devices to analyse the radio frequency environment (i.e. not just airport basestations - Apple no longer manufacture these).  The analyser is called Wi-Fi scan & is found on top RHIS of active Airport Utility window.  It lists the wifi networks it sees, along with details of the radio channel & signal strength of each channel the wifi chip in the phone can see.

Due to the limited number of frequencies available in the 2.4GHz band (1 - 11 in Australia), the 2.4 GHz band is more prone to radio interference and bandwidth congestion.  Operating microwaves wipe out the lower 2.4 GHz channels.  If your wifi modem is using wide channel bands in the 2.4 GHz band (i.e. using 40 MHz rather than 20 MHz channel bands), then Bluetooth devices will interfere your wifi throughput & your wifi will interfere with Bluetooth.  More recent smart home devices are now using the Bluetooth radio channels for communication, rather than the older ZigBee technology, so if you have just installed a smart home hub near your wifi modem (& the wifi modem is broadcasting wide channels), then you may be getting significant overlap & thus interference with both technologies.

Anyway, for your 2.4 GHz network

1. log into the modem and ensure its 2.4 GHz band is making use of 20 MHz channels.

2.  use a wifi analyser (Android or the iOS WiFi scanner) and check whether there neighbouring networks that have a similar signal strength to the 2.4 GHz channels your wifi modem is using.  Hopefully all neighbouring networks have a very low (say -90 dbm), so shouldn't be interfering with your modem's performance.  If you have neighbouring networks with similar signal strengths at the distance from the modem where you want a good connection, you will either need to change the channel your modem is broadcasting, and/or approach your neighbours to get agreement on each using non overlapping channels.  Note that the 3 non overlap channels are 1, 6 & 11, so if you choose 6, the neighbour on one side should use 1 & the neighbour on the other side use 11.

3.  Check in the modem that a neighbour hasn't connected to your modem (a neighbour who setup using WPS may have connected to your modem if it allows WPS connections, especially if you had left the default password in place).

SteveW_52

Which Android device do you have? Unusual for it not to have 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi at least. Is the WiFi service turned on?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more