commentkcore
Level 4: Private Eye

Arcadyan LH1000 broken IPv6 link-local?

So I am continuing to use my LH100 for my NBN connection. For whatever reasons, which I hope won't prejudice the conversation, I don't get issued a WAN IPv6 address. This may be significant to the issue, so yeah, this is what my routers home page lists

Gateway Information
Serial No
ARC***
Firmware Number
0.12.15r
Gateway Make Model
Arcadyan LH1000

and:

WAN IPv4: ***.***.***.***
WAN IPv6: N/A
Conn. type: IPoE routed mode

So the problem I am having appears to be with the switching function of the router/modem. IPv6 link-local is functioning fine for devices that are branched off of one of the LH1000 switch ports. ie., no switching from the LH1000 itself.

But across the switch ports, devices cannot see each other in IPv6. From what I can tell, at least the ICMP6, neighbor solicitation packets are not traversing, perhaps no IPv6 packets at all. Even attempting to ping, or "telnet" port 443 of the actual router/modem on it's IPv6 port is not working.

Oh, I do have WLAN off on the router/modem, as I use mesh wifi (Kogan, and it has been very good. I've eliminated it as a factor here).

There is no ready way for me to get an IPv6 WAN address to test it out, but is it possible that because there is no address, the LH1000 cripples IPv6 switching altogether?

I'm relatively new to IPv6, but from my understanding of switching and mac table lookups, I was and remain skeptical that there could be a switching issue. But I've read a lot of literature about IPv6 that indicates that yes, some critical IPv6 features can be crippled by a unsophisticated switch implementation.

And despite my skepticism, I have seen first hand bad switching implementations. Back in the day, TPG gave me an ADSL wifi router that stupidly would not switch broadcast packets (alarm bells here with this issue too, though I believe the IPv6 negotiations are multicast mac addresses?) between devices on wifi and on ethernet.

Has anyone seen this? Any suggestions... because right now I am looking at maybe switching out this modem/router, and that is upsetting because I really like the form factor a lot. Best form factor, even amongst commercial products I've come across.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
22 REPLIES 22
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Arcadyan LH1000 broken IPv6 link-local?

Is IPv6 enabled in the modem's Advanced > Local Network > Local Network IPv6 settings.

commentkcore

@cf4 wrote:

Is IPv6 enabled in the modem's Advanced > Local Network > Local Network IPv6 settings.

Yes, and the device has a Link-local address. But none of the devices on its ethernet ports can ping (and therefore) or telnet port 443 on the modem/router.

I'll try switching the wifi back on temporarily and seeing if I can ping from the wifi. Be back in about 10 mins.

commentkcore

Yes, even via wifi I cannot ping or connect the modem/routers IPv6 link-local address. Nor any of the devices on the ethernet ports (which is virtually switched traffic, so makes sense).

I did earlier use the word unsophisticated implementation. Is it perhaps not unsophisticated implementation of switching, but more a misguided design decision to disable the IPv6 multicast mac address propagation if WAN IPv6 is not functional?

Very frustrating.

cf4

Port 443 on the modem is blocked when using IPv6. Can also confirm can't connect to devices on the modem's LAN using IPv6 when there is no IPv6  address on the WAN.

Its strange you don't have an IPv6 address on WAN. Have you tested with modem on 4G backup. Modem only has a IPv6 address on WAN when in 4G backup mode.

commentkcore

I have found a way to get an IPv6 WAN address... it has made no difference to the problem with link-local IPv6 at all.

And... if I understand correctly, now that I have an IPv6 WAN address, the devices on the LAN would become aware of that by an IPv6 router announcement. That should allow them to ping out, say to google, via IPv6. But no dice. Devices, even when they reinitialise their network, are not configured to route IPv6 publicly.

I am very paranoid about it all now, because I just have trouble believing I'm the first to realise that LH1000 is so broken for IPv6? I'm going to swap it out with a Technicolor (old form factor) and see what comes of it. It is going to be a pain, because the old form factor can't even fit the compartment I have the Arcadyan in.

cf4

Ipv6 does work on the Arcadyan modem. I have tested at IPv6 test - IPv6/4 connectivity and speed test (ipv6-test.com). Have also been able to ping sites using IPv6 from devices connected to the modem's LAN and WLAN.

commentkcore

@cf4 wrote:

Ipv6 does work on the Arcadyan modem. I have tested at IPv6 test - IPv6/4 connectivity and speed test (ipv6-test.com). Have also been able to ping sites using IPv6 from devices connected to the modem's LAN and WLAN.

No, it doesn't. I haven't swapped routers yet. But yes, I have re-eabled 5Ghz radio on the LH1000, connected with a solitary Windows 10 laptop, and IPv6 isn't working at all.

Did you say you can't ping the modem too? I guess that doesn't really prove anything, because the device could be firewalling that form of traffic. But it does seem odd to me that even in your working config you can't ping it. Does it appear as a hop in a traceroute perhaps?

I'm going to try a linux laptop and just eliminate that it is some Windows issue (I tried with the segment notation too, so it's not that I wouldn't think)

Then I'll just swap it out, not with a Technicolor but with a Netgear router. It's non-gigabit, so that's why I hesitate to just go with it as a permanent solution. But we'll see what comes of it.

cf4

I can ping router but if I check port 443 using IPv6 the Android Ping tools app reports port as closed.

This is a traceroute to google using IPv6 an a laptop connected to the LH1000 modem.

tracert -6 google.com

Tracing route to google.com [2404:6800:4015:803::200e]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 2001:8003:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2 7 ms 6 ms 6 ms 2001:8003:0:bdf:f0:8:3:0
3 8 ms 7 ms 8 ms 2001:8000:0:2050:116:119:0:2
4 7 ms * * 2001:8000:0:2050:116:119:0:1
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 15 ms * 16 ms bundle-ether1.win-edge903.melbourne.telstra.net [2001:8000:0:2040:121:124:0:2]
7 19 ms * * 2001:4860:1:1::1ab2
8 16 ms * * 2404:6800:80e7::1
9 22 ms 17 ms 17 ms 2001:4860:0:1::46aa
10 19 ms 18 ms 18 ms 2001:4860:0:78::3
11 22 ms 17 ms 18 ms 2001:4860::9:4002:3e2
12 19 ms 20 ms 18 ms 2001:4860:0:80::1
13 19 ms * * 2001:4860:0:1::137d
14 18 ms 18 ms 18 ms mel05s02-in-x0e.1e100.net [2404:6800:4015:803::200e]

Trace complete.

The kogan mesh system on your network might have DHCP IPv6 turned on.

commentkcore

I'm going to try a linux laptop and just eliminate that it is some Windows issue (I tried with the segment notation too, so it's not that I wouldn't think)

Then I'll just swap it out, not with a Technicolor but with a Netgear router. It's non-gigabit, so that's why I hesitate to just go with it as a permanent solution. But we'll see what comes of it.

Well, as I suspected, no difference with the Linux laptop either. No physical switching, just directly onto the LH1000's WLAN. No IPv6 at all. I tried disabling the firewall on the LH1000... no dice. It makes no sense that it is this broken...

commentkcore

Router swap, to a Netgear WNR2000v2 fixed the IPv6 link-local network completely.

The Arcadyan has been a great disappointment from the off. At one point, a firmware refresh killed off a feature where DNS entries were being provided for attached devices... more later

commentkcore

@cf4 wrote:

I can ping router but if I check port 443 using IPv6 the Android Ping tools app reports port as closed.

This is a traceroute to google using IPv6 an a laptop connected to the LH1000 modem.

tracert -6 google.com

Tracing route to google.com [2404:6800:4015:803::200e]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 2001:8003:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2 7 ms 6 ms 6 ms 2001:8003:0:bdf:f0:8:3:0
3 8 ms 7 ms 8 ms 2001:8000:0:2050:116:119:0:2
4 7 ms * * 2001:8000:0:2050:116:119:0:1
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 15 ms * 16 ms bundle-ether1.win-edge903.melbourne.telstra.net [2001:8000:0:2040:121:124:0:2]
7 19 ms * * 2001:4860:1:1::1ab2
8 16 ms * * 2404:6800:80e7::1
9 22 ms 17 ms 17 ms 2001:4860:0:1::46aa
10 19 ms 18 ms 18 ms 2001:4860:0:78::3
11 22 ms 17 ms 18 ms 2001:4860::9:4002:3e2
12 19 ms 20 ms 18 ms 2001:4860:0:80::1
13 19 ms * * 2001:4860:0:1::137d
14 18 ms 18 ms 18 ms mel05s02-in-x0e.1e100.net [2404:6800:4015:803::200e]

Trace complete.

The kogan mesh system on your network might have DHCP IPv6 turned on.

Thanks for that. That is what I would expect. Away from home network at the moment, but I'll see how I go with the Netgear.

With the mesh system, I'll double check, but I'm usually pretty diligent about turning off DHCP. I've been knocking around with DHCP for a long time, even running adhoc DHCP via Solaris about 20 years ago. So know to be careful about having two running on the same subnet.

commentkcore

OK. The Netgear works perfectly for IPv6 link-local, and public IPv6.

Apologies, earlier I mentioned that a firmware update killed my DNS. It wasn't an update, but a problem right the off:

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/modems-hardware/gen-2-arcadyan-lh1000-lacks-dns-zone-ability-...

Actually @cf4 you assisted, as you frequently do, with that. Thank you again.

For now, I will accept that the LH1000 is a total bust, and move on.

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - are you trying to ping the Arcadyan modem's IPv6 Local Link address from an Ethernet connected PC and can't successfully do so or are you trying to ping another PC's IPv6 Local Link address on your Network - just trying to understand what you mean by switch? Using Wi-Fi clients, are they being blocked by the modem's Firewall when end points use different Operating Systems?

I can ping IPv6 Local Link Address of the modem in Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04 - they use different commands and require different suffix endings which appear for the Gateway in the respective ipconfig and ifconfig commands. On my Arcadyan, it's %4 with Windows - it may be different on other modems. 

Windows : ping -6 fe80::xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx%4

Ubuntu: ping6 -c 4 -I eth0 fe80::xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx%eth0

commentkcore

Yep, I was tried every way, including PC and Linux wired into the router. I tried turning off the firewall on the device too.

I also tried with the suffixes as you describe too. Nothing worked.

The tell that the problem is as i describe is that I dropped in an older Netgear N300 router and it works perfectly as expected.

I reviled in disgust when I discovered back in the day that the TPG supplied would not propagate broadcast packets between wifi and the ethernet ports. And this type of basic switching issue really angers me... because you just sense that the switching function is just an after thought on this "combo" devices, when you should always have bulletproof switching first as a foundation to the whole device.

And I've had similar frustrations over switching implementation failures in my profession.

@cf4in our previous discussion, you did mention that there is a technicolor version of the LH1000. You mention that your LH1000 is working well for IPv6. Is it possible you have the Technicolor version?

cf4

@commentkcore 

No the modem is not the Technicolor version (DJA0231). The modem I tested IPv6 on is the Arcadyan version (LH1000). 

Mkrtich

Yes - Got it. Wi-Fi to LAN and LAN to LAN client attempts are being blocked from IPv6 Local Link Address connections using the native OS commands for each system. Also tested Mac on Access Point to Arcadyan, LAN to LAN - also blocked. 

commentkcore

@cf4 wrote:

@commentkcore 

No the modem is not the Technicolor version (DJA0231). The modem I tested IPv6 on is the Arcadyan version (LH1000). 

Interesting thing, my sibling has one of these LH1000 as well. I haven't done the IPv6 testing on it yet, but they definitely have a higher firmware level than I do. Their's:

Product Vendor
Arcadyan
Product Name
LH1000
Boot Version
1.0.38-116.118
Firmware Version
0.13.01r
Hardware Version

Mine:

Product Vendor
Arcadyan
Product Name
LH1000
Boot Version
1.0.38-116.118
Firmware Version
0.12.15r
Hardware Version

Perhaps the problem was due to the older firmware? I'm imaging there is a thread discussing the prerequisites for triggering an automatic firmware upgrade? I'll search around after this post
cf4

The modem I tested had firmware 0.12.15r. My modem was updated to firmware 0.13.01r a couple of days ago. If you have restored modem settings using a previously saved config file this can stop the modem's communicating with the maintenance server. When this occurs the log will display TR-069 error code
401 events. If your modem's log contains TR-069 error code 401 events it is unable to communicate with maintenance server and will not update. The only way to fix this is to factory reset modem.

I would like to clarify my statement about IPv6 working on the modem.

Local IPv6 addresses don't work. Ca not connect to devices using there local IPv6 address.

Global IPv6 addresses work. You can get to sites using global IPv6 addresses and connect to devices on the local network using the devices global IPv6 addresses.

commentkcore

@commentkcore wrote:

@cf4 wrote:

@commentkcore 

Interesting thing, my sibling has one of these LH1000 as well. I haven't done the IPv6 testing on it yet,

Test performed. Perfectly functioning IPv6. Believing more now that it could be a bad firmware... there are no release notes for the various firmware versions, right?

cf4

There only public release notes for firmware 11.11r. This post has a link to those notes. There are some unofficial release notes for firmware in section 28 of document linked in this post.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smart-Modem-Gen-2-Arcadyan-version-LH...

commentkcore

@cf4 wrote:

The modem I tested had firmware 0.12.15r. My modem was updated to firmware 0.13.01r a couple of days ago. If you have restored modem settings using a previously saved config file this can stop the modem's communicating with the maintenance server. When this occurs the log will display TR-069 error code
401 events. If your modem's log contains TR-069 error code 401 events it is unable to communicate with maintenance server and will not update. The only way to fix this is to factory reset modem.

I would like to clarify my statement about IPv6 working on the modem.

Local IPv6 addresses don't work. Ca not connect to devices using there local IPv6 address.

Global IPv6 addresses work. You can get to sites using global IPv6 addresses and connect to devices on the local network using the devices global IPv6 addresses.

Oh man... that then is absolutely mystifying then... link-local works on my siblings network... are you absolutely certain of that? Windows firewalls on the target can make it appear that way... and also, for link local, sometimes you have to use the interface scope (ie. %X where X is the scope for the interface you need to send the ping packet out on)

Anyway ,now I am firmly in the "asking too many questions" territory, because there might not be a "unified truth" to the matter. Thanks anyway @cf4 You are always good for shedding light on a situation.

commentkcore

Just a final word on this... almost certainly, LH1000 has an IPv6 issue... but I suspect it only shows up in a very hybrid home network, as I have.

My network has the following configuration for the four ethernet ports of the LH1000:

2 of the ports are patched directly to Kogan Mesh wifi nodes

1 port to a TP-LINK 8 Port unmanaged gigabit switch, with a TV, Windows desktop, gaming console and occasional adhoc laptop connection hanging off of it

1 port to a Netgear managed gigabit switch, with the final Kogan Mesh wifi node, and raspberry pi hanging off of it

I switch off wifi on the LH1000 usually... but I've demonstrated in the past, that this doesn't seem to make a difference.

You can see from my network, I'm not lacking in confidence when it comes to setting up this arrangement. And note, when IPv6 fails, the IPv6 neighbor solicitation between the physically switched Windows desktop and raspberry pi, fails. Packets don't seem to be switched by the modem. In fact, the modem also does not respond to ICMP packets targeting its own link-local IPv6 address.

From what I can tell... if I isolate the device and just attach a handful of devices directly, wifi and ethernet, IPv6 link-local seems ok. Including ICMP to the modem itself. And that seems to be the case in my siblings home too.

Perhaps it is the fact that I have switches hanging off of the ports that breaks IPv6? Or perhaps it is just the amount of actual devices connected... is it possible it has a limited table of link-local IPv6 addresses it can handle?

In any case, I have had to abandon my old Netgear router, because it stalls when it gets hot. But with that device, everything was working perfectly.

And just to satisfy my curiosity, I temporarily connected up my old Telstra Smart Modem, Technicolor DJA0230, just outside of the cabinet it won't fit in. IPv6 works perfectly with it.

I'm hopeful that I can finally move on properly when my newly purchased router arrives. But I do feel it's such a shame that the LH1000 is broken in this way... and seemingly, there is no "issue tracker" that I could log this with, and see if the technical support team can confirm what I am seeing.

I've made the purchase I was avoiding now, so I'll finally move on.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more