Hallie1953
Level 3: Gumshoe

Arcadyan LH1000 not showing connected devices

My SmartModem is no longer displaying connected devices as it has in the past. This has only become apparent over the last week after a bad storm when power went off during the middle of the night.

I have restarted the modem, no change.

After saving the settings, I reset the modem, no change.

Then I loaded the saved settings, no change.

Other than this issue where no devices are displaying, everything else is working fine. Internet, phone, and email.

I tried calling tech support. No help what so ever.

I then tried on line chatting to an 'expert'. They recommended a hard reset. Well that did not work.

The modem is on FW version 14.12r.

I have logged on to the modem on a PC, Android Tablet, and an iMac and none show connected devices.

Nothing happens when I refresh the Devices tab.

What other remedy can I try?

Please help.

David Hall

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
25 REPLIES 25
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Arcadyan LH1000 not showing connected devices

Did you do the modem restart from inside the modem GUI?

When you did the modem reset, was that a power cycle process - turn off, wait several minutes power on again? or something else?

And what was the 'hard reset' process - pressing the reset button on the back of the modem near the LAN 2 port/SIM card for at least 15 seconds?  or something else?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Hallie1953

I reset from the GUI. The unofficial manual says it is the same as resetting using the rest button at the back.

After clicking the reset button within the GUI, it counts down slowly until it reaches 100%. Takes about 120 seconds. Then modem restarts after the lights flash, change colour and turn green at the end. Then the GUI resets and you can login again.

The hard set action recommended by the "expert" was exactly as you have described it Steve 52.

Thx for taking the time to reply.

David

ps: all devices are connected and working 100% including many Ethernet and WiFi devices.

Could it be a modem firmware corruption?

David Hall
SteveW_52

OK..  I just wanted to clarify what you had done so far.. 

The Restart from within the GUI is not exactly the same as the external reset button action. The reset button action is a Factory Reset, putting everything back to the standard settings and clearing many things (there is a Factory Default button also in the GUI, same area as the Reset button you already tried.

If you haven't don it already, try a power reset - turn the modem off (unplug the power lead or unplug the power pack), leave it off for maybe 5 minutes or longer, then restore power and let the modem boot up to a stable Green indicator on the front. Then go into the GUI and see if the devices show up..

If they don't, then the modem is probably damaged, or as you say the firmware is corrupted, even though it seems to be working properly. Either way, report it to Telstra and request a replacement. The hardest part will be convincing support when they test it - that although it tests fine, the GUI is not working properly, which may cause intermittent issues in the future.

Stevo 52
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Are any devices shown as connected on the Go to Advanced > Local Network > Devices tab?

Hallie1953

Thx Stevo 52.

I will try what you have suggested and let you know how I get on.

David

David Hall
Hallie1953

Nothing in Advanced > Local Network > Devices tab

David Hall
Hallie1953

Hi Stevo 52.

Sadly no change after powering off as suggested. All the settings remain including Static IPs, phone book, blocked numbers and port forwarding, but still no connected devices showing - anywhere. 

I will endeavor to contact the techos at Telstra, but my experiences yesterday were less than helpful. One of the techos had no idea what I was talking about!

Thx again for you guidance.

David

David Hall
SteveW_52

I sympathise, if you are using the My Telstra app or the Help option in My Account to contact Telstra..  it is extremely frustrating and the knowledge level of the 'consultants' is very poor..  but that is the hand we have to play these days..

If you are a Gold member, that can offer better options? Otherwise go to My Testra app, Get Help  and the blue chat window..  type in 'Consultant' and you should go into a queue for someone to contact you back, by message. Don't log out of the app, make sure notifications are On and then you can close the app and do other things until you get the response message..  keep your messages short and to the point..  'Faulty modem' for example..   

The above holds true for going through the My Account process..  sign in to your account, then click on Get Help in the menu bar..  on the Get Help page, you should see a small, blue, Message Us button down the bottom..  gets you to the same Support area, but at least you can do other things on the computer while you are waiting.. 

Taking screenshots is a good idea, as Telstra don't seem to be able to send a transcript of your chat any more (self incriminating maybe???).. the screenshots as you go through the chat, might be handy if you need to escalate the problem to a 'complaint'..  Good luck..

Stevo 52
Hallie1953

Thx for the ongoing advice Stevo 52.

Before I read your msg I had already used the "message"option after signing on to My Telstra account. First thing I typed in was "Talk to an expert".

After 10 mins of back and forth messages to explain, the chat dropped out. I logged out and back in again and the transcript was still active. I continued with the chat and the "expert' conducted some online tests.

Everything was (and still is) working fine in respect to connections. Internet, phone and email are not the issue as I have mentioned. His tests revealed there have been dropouts, but I indicated that was not the problem. I got not no response to the question - when did it drop out? I asked if it could be a corrupt firmware. I got a negative response.

He said he has escalated the issue and a technician will be in contact by email or SMS within 48 hours.

I will now await further info. 

I am not that concerned about the GUI, I just like things to work as they should. After all that is what you pay for.

At the end of the day I can login to the routers GUI and see connected devices, the LH1000 GUI was /is much easier.

I will keep you in the loop.

David

David Hall
Hallie1953

Latest update...

Since Sunday, 3 days ago, I have heard NOTHING from Telstra, other than fill in a customer survey 2 days ago.

In that survey I gave them a serve - pathetic customer service. I have dealt with Telstra Support in the past and I really cannot complain about their customer service - how can you when there isn't any.

I researched some more and my topic has come onto this forum before. The lengthy post I read was about a Bose music system that was causing the problem, and once the Bose firmware was update, the connected devices in the GUI returned. I checked my Yamaha system, it has current firmware and when not connected to the modem, the GUI issue still exists. So it is not the audio system in my case. Could be some other device. I would need to disconnect each one and see which one (if any) are affecting the modem. 

BTW I have not mentioned, I connect my devices through a Netgear router connected the the LH1000. Mainly because the WIFI on the Arcadyan is crap. I have checked the router's firmware and all up to date there. 

And I found a mention in the unofficial user manual under the heading of Known Limitations and Bugs, item 16: Devices connected to Ethernet ports not appearing in modem’s GUI.

It does not clearly state from when...

In the past all connected devices would show up under the Ethernet column because of the direct connection to the router. I have a feeling that I will never see the devices on the GUI ever again.

David

David Hall
SteveW_52

That's odd, my own experience is that the Arcadyan modem Wi-Fi is pretty good..  but each to their own..

So, if you disconnect the Netgear router, and connect a device directly to the Arcadyan and then see if you can see the device listed...

Is the netgear actually running as the network router, providing DHC, or is it more an access point with the Arcadyan doing the DHCP..  hopefully you don't hasve two DHCP servers active?

Stevo 52
Hallie1953

Tried what you suggested Steve 52. Immediately I logged into the Arcadyan modem, and this is the result:

{picture removed for privacy}

But... I logged out and logged back in again for the Irish test (to be sure to be sure) and the device had vanished despite still being connected.

Then I checked my router settings. I have not made any changes to the settings for years, other than reset every now and again. I noticed I had Access Point set, but looking at the diagram and looking at the CAT5 cables attached to the back, the line running from the LAN port on the modem to the router is not actually connected to the blue Internet WAN port as it should be. WTF? It is actually connected to an Ethernet LAN port instead.

So it appears like you have said - 2 DHCP servers. Now I will endeavor to fix all of this and let you know how I go. Wish me luck.

David

David Hall
SteveW_52

To properly check your connected devices, go to the advanced menu, then local network and look at the device tab there..  and wait a while, for the refresh cycle, to see if the device is showing as connected (the LH1000 are a bit so-so with reporting devices at the best of time though..

To check if you have two DHCP's  check the IP address of any connected device.. if you do not see 192.168.0.xxx (that is the default LH1000 ip range) then yes, you have two DHCP servers..  which isn't good..

You need to decide which DHCP server you want to use, my guess being that if you prefer the Netgear, then use that one.. 

If you are just using the netgear as an AP, then you wouldn't normally connect into the WAN port, as you'd just be extending the LH1000 ip range instead - so a LAN port is the choice..  but not the most efficient

Stevo 52
Hallie1953

Thx Stevo 52.

Tried you suggestion - local network - advanced tab - devices. Nothing, let it refresh many times, still nothing.

I have many settings in the Arcadyan - static addresses, and port forwarding. If I decided to use the router for DHCP I am presuming I would need to add all these settings to the router and turn off DHCP in the Arcadyan...

If I decide to use the Arcadyan as the router and DHCP from there, can I deactivate it in the Netgear, using it as an access point?

Appreciate your advice.

David

David Hall
cf4

When the Netgear is set up as an access point the DHCP server in the Netgear is automatically turned off. Also I don't think it matters whether the WAN port or LAN port is connected to LAN port of the LH1000. If the Netgear is the same as my WD router the WAN port is converted to a LAN port when in access point mode. 

SteveW_52

Personally, I'd go with using the LH1000..

As to using the Netgrear as an AP, it depends if you set it up that way..  in which case, if the Wi-Fi in the LH1000 is not disabled, then your devices could well be using that anyway..  how do you know devices are connecting to the Netgears 'better' wi-fi?

Stevo 52
cf4

@Hallie1953 wrote:

And I found a mention in the unofficial user manual under the heading of Known Limitations and Bugs, item 16: Devices connected to Ethernet ports not appearing in modem’s GUI.

It does not clearly state from when...

In the past all connected devices would show up under the Ethernet column because of the direct connection to the router. I have a feeling that I will never see the devices on the GUI ever again.

David

I think it was just after firmware version 0.12.07r that I first noticed that not all ethernet devices were always shown connected in modem's GUI.

I also noticed that if you had a switch or other router (configured as AP/switch) connected to modem sometimes devices connected to switch or router did not show up in modem's GUI. It depended on the switch or router model whether devices were shown as connected.

SteveW_52

@cf4   I think you are about right with that firmware revision, was about the time I noticed it.

I use a couple of unmanaged 16 port switches on my network and the devices show up in the LH1000 device list 'most of the time'..  I am not as obsessed with the router/network switching these days, I tend to wok on the 'device is working' basis and only chase problems (of which there are few)..  I am pretty happy with the LH100/DJA0231 modems - probably leaning to the former as the most reliable, especially for wi-fi. The lack of access to some features I once considered important, is not such a concern to me as overall reliability and performance nowdays (getting old and lazy maybe)..  the LH1000 and 3 (only paid for one) Smart Wi-Fi Boosters (AP's as far as I am concerned) gives me all I need these days..  Smiley Happy

Stevo 52
roshirina
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Hallie1953. Are you still having issues with the modem not showing connected devices? It may need a firmware update, send us through a pm and we'll get it looked into.  - Glenn

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Hallie1953

Thx for the info. I am resigned to the fact the devices will not show up anymore.

David

David Hall
SteveW_52

@roshirina   the modem that @Hallie1953  has, is already on the latest firmware, so unless you know of a new update firmware just released, or about to be, I don't think that is the issue...  others of us are seeing various variations on the issue as well..

Stevo 52
Hallie1953

I am new to this forum. How do I send a pm?

David

David Hall
SteveW_52

Click on the user 'name' and then in the profile page, 'Send a Message'

Stevo 52
roshirina
Support Team
Support Team

All good David, we've reached out via pm.  - Glenn

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

afdasd
Level 1: Cadet

I have the exact same problem I've done all the same resets.  I'm sure this started with the last firmware update.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more