x-wing
Level 1: Cadet

Are Telstra pushing Modem/Router updates?

Answered

Hello

Our Technicolor TG587n v3 has had an update applied to it (somehow). Yesterday I couldn't log onto to it via the user/pass I had set. It was also no longer accessible via telnet, even when connected via cable. The basic functionality of connecting to the Internet and allowing WiFi clients was still working so I have no idea when the update took place. It was only after a factory reset I found that it had been updated.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GlennL
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Are Telstra pushing Modem/Router updates?

Yes, Telstra does 'improve' the firmware over time and sadly there is nothing you can do.

Since it is now factory reset use the default user\pass. I believe Telstra has disabled telnet access

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
GlennL
Accepted Solution

Yes, Telstra does 'improve' the firmware over time and sadly there is nothing you can do.

Since it is now factory reset use the default user\pass. I believe Telstra has disabled telnet access

View solution in original post

x-wing

Thanks GlennL

@telstra this isn't good.

I was using DynDNS on the rotuer to update my IP details for an OpenDNS subscription I have. This helps to protect my children when browsing the Internet. By updating my router without telling me this system broke. I don't care about buried sentences saying it's okay in lines upon lines of terms of agreements. This should not happen.

Since this router is running Linux can you please tell me where I can get a copy the source code for the modifications that Telstra makes before selling them? And any subsequent updates. It's a requirement of the GPL. 

GlennL

You would have to contact Technicolor for the GPL.

www3.technicolor.com/en/hi/minisites/open-software/dsl-cable-ip-modem-gateways/dsl-gateways/tab/r8-4-4-h

x-wing

Thanks

Think I'm going to replace this router or install something else on it.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more