trimbojd
Level 1: Cadet

Assistance to setup Nord VPN on home network - Telstra Arcadyan modem

Hi, I have a Telstra Arcadian modem and wish to setup a Nord VPN on my home network. I have a connection to NBN (fibre to the node), a landline and the Arcadyan provides me with 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks and guest networks. Appreciate any assistance with the following questions please:

1. What is the best modem to connect to the Arcadyan to configure VPN onto?

2. Settings I need for the Arcadyan and the VPN modem please?

3. Does Telstra really throttle VPN traffic??

4. Need to ensure my Landline remains active after the VPN install - best way to do that.

Thanks in advance for your help - awesome forum by the way!!

Joseph Trimboli

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
trimbojd

Re: Assistance to setup Nord VPN on home network - Telstra Arcadyan modem

The Arcadyan is an LH1000 by the way...

Joseph Trimboli
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

My experience is that Telstra doesn't play nicely with VPN's in general and it isn't easy to set up anetwork wide VPN on the modem..  you can run client based VPN on a device by device basis, but there does appear to be some throttling, other may have had doifeerent experiences though..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Nord VPN recommend the following routers (as they don't require flashing of firmware):

Asus: RT-AX86U, RT-AX88U (AC3100), RT-AC5300

Note: you will almost certainly get a reduction in speed using Nord VPN - they actually state this on their support site - it's due to the way they work.

You would need to connect the WAN port of the new Router to a LAN port of the Arcadyan. And in the new Router, set the Broadband connection details so that it looks to your Arcadyan.

As far as NordVPN setup instructions go, they are on the Nord VPN site. Note: do not put the Arcadyan into Bridge Mode as this will disable your Home Phone.

For most people, VPNs are a complete waste of money and unnecessary. They are largely just playing into people's insecurities. A good virus scanner, malware detector and a bit of common sense is all most people need to stay safe online.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
trimbojd

Thanks Jupiter, so completely useless then? I am worried about phishing and malware attacks as they have become numerous. I run Trend Micro as antivirus and it's been great so far...just wanted to get extra security...

Joseph Trimboli

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more