Steve5092
Level 1: Cadet

Assumptions about Smart Modem being connected to mobile network

Answered

I have an Telstra NBN HFC service but have never used the supplied hardware because it is too locked down and doesn't do half of what I want.  I have a Unifi setup consisting of a USG router, switch and several APs along with other peripheral gear.

I have an LH1000 Smart modem in a cupboard but I only wheel this out and use its 4G capability when my HFC WAN connection goes down. If I lose my main WAN, I power up the modem and connect one its LAN ports to a second (failover only) WAN port on my router and which then uses 4G until the main WAN comes back up. Once this happens, any data flow via the 4G connection stops and I get a USG-generated message that the WAN connections have switched. I then disconnect the Smart modem and put it back in a cupboard until the next outage.

For some reason, a few days after this scenario I get text messages from Telstra telling me I'm still connected to 4G and can I please switch back to my fixed line. This is while the Smart modem has spent days powered down and disconnected from anything. To stop these messages it seems I have to power up the Smart modem and connect it to my WAN, wait for some sort of signal to be sent back to base that its reconnected to fixed line (and presumably has disconnected from 4G - all happy now) then power the modem down and reconnect the normal WAN plumbing.  All of which seems rather unnecessary considering 4G isn't even connected, let alone being used.  I realise I'm not using the Smart modem the "official" Telstra way but it's being used only for backup when the fixed line service fails in exactly the same way as if it was the gateway device.

Firstly can someone explain why Telstra use such a convoluted and erroneous method of detecting ongoing 4G connection/usage?  Surely the logical way would be to monitor if the Smart modem is actually connected to the 4G network rather than assuming it must be connected to 4G if it hasn't reported switching back to fixed line.

Secondly, it there something I can do short of re-plumbing the network after every outage to stop messages telling me my powered down and disconnected Smart modem is still connected to 4G?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Assumptions about Smart Modem being connected to mobile network

To stop messages you could connect WAN port of the smart modem to a LAN port of you main modem for at least 10 minutes.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
cf4
Accepted Solution

To stop messages you could connect WAN port of the smart modem to a LAN port of you main modem for at least 10 minutes.

View solution in original post

Steve5092
Level 1: Cadet

I'll try that next time, thank you. Certainly a lot easier than what I've been doing Smiley Happy

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more